Periodic inspection reports

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megaohm7

Reaction score
For a typical 3 bed house say, what is the average time to inspect and test this property. I usually allow 1/2 a day myself as most of the report is done as you go around i take photos to back up my findings. these go in the report. I charge

Concur. Time for these things is such a difficult variable to quantify, due to the differences possible.

Are there any rings? Are there lots of rings? Are there loads of sockets in awkward locations, behind furniture, etc. What is the CU access like? What type of CU is it? How many circuits? What about outbuildings (garage, shed, etc.)? Is it original, or multiple "add-ons"? Do you have previous report/certificate?

Do the customers provide cuppas; or are they ignorant? What sort of lighting - 1 centre pendant on a 1 way sw is much easier than 4 sets of LV lighting on seperate dimmers - all 2 way.

An "easy" one may be 1/2 day on site, plus an hour or two compiling PIR & associated paperwork ( I provide covering letters, explaining things). An awkward one might be 2 days!!!

Not much help - sorry

KME

Concur. Time for these things is such a difficult variable to quantify, due to the differences possible.Are there any rings? Are there lots of rings? Are there loads of sockets in awkward locations, behind furniture, etc. What is the CU access like? What type of CU is it? How many circuits? What about outbuildings (garage, shed, etc.)? Is it original, or multiple "add-ons"? Do you have previous report/certificate?

Do the customers provide cuppas; or are they ignorant? What sort of lighting - 1 centre pendant on a 1 way sw is much easier than 4 sets of LV lighting on seperate dimmers - all 2 way.

An "easy" one may be 1/2 day on site, plus an hour or two compiling PIR & associated paperwork ( I provide covering letters, explaining things). An awkward one might be 2 days!!!

Not much help - sorry

KME
Your points were very helpful KME. Thank you. I was about right with 1/2 a day but as you say it does depend on what you find and of course any agreed limitations. I've heard of people doing a pir in 3hrs max so I guess a lot of corners being cut. Money is tight at the moment and everyone is counting their pennies so If someone can do a pir for between

And it will be those electricians that may well end up in court for not doing a proper PIR due to costs.AndyGuinness
Thats something that we all got warned about when doing 2391.

People worry too much

Megs you could go and PIR a house with limitations provide a good thorough report

i could go there do the same report with less limitations and provide a different picture

A PIR is only good for that day by that sparky

no one will ever give the same same findings which i found out last year........

I done a cu change on saturday,

PIR had been done 2 weeks ago by ANother,

most of the 1s and 2s on the cert were either 4s or no code at all,

code 1 - 13a fuse in a SFCU feeding a cellar light in 1.5 T&E

code 2 - wylex 1361 cu , all covers intact.

code 1 - no RCD

code 1 - IR on US lights 5.6 M ohm , I got over 20, I think he left something connected(fan tranny or shaver point?) or a lamp in situ.

and a load more similar,

and,

some stuff he missed,

6mm T&E (that needed derated!) on a 45A 1361

NO supplementary bonding anywhere, except boiler cross bonded.! lol

no Zs at boiler SFCU, he apparently got a reading according to his cert!

no labels anywhere

he said NO evidence of alterations in a 30 yr old install, there was brown and blue cables in a few places,

BTW, from arrival to out the door was in under 2 hours according to the householder who was, by then, 100quid lighter.

Well, I have just done a PIR for a property. Old PIR available

All ring main readings put as n/a

Continuity box ticked for Water Bond...seal fairies' cousin must have visited as there aint no bond to no water

Ze....infinity FFS

Ipsc...Infinity

Uo 415

list goes on and on

.........Oh yeah, forgot to put that it was a local AC that did the PIR... :coat

Even for identical sized properties there can be big differences due to numbers of circuits and if the property is lived in or vacant. I cannot imagine any domestic 3-bed property being more than 1 day even if lived in with many appliances still plugged in. And a vacant 3-bed semi would I guess, be reasonably comfortable at 1/2 day. Any other combinations will be somewhere in-between.

Doc H.

Have recently been doing some 2 bed flats each one takes between 3 1/2 hours too 5 hours circuit numbers dependent.

If I do pirs I test everything so allow a day per job this is assuming there are no previous certs after all you have also got to allow time for doing certs when finished. I don't do many pirs unless its a regular customer as I am generally to busy doing contract work so tell people to get a testing firm in because they won't be wanting work from the pir so hopefully they will have it done correctly.

So what do you all put as limitations then? i do .....10% of fittings checked and no dismantling of building fabric. Also live and neutral to cpc IR test only

Personally, I like to inspect as many accessories as possible during a PIR. I disagree that only inspecting 10% is a proper regime. Most domestic properties are only going to be PIR'd once in a blue moon (and even rented ones every 5 years at best). If you did 10% it could take 50 or 100 years of testing to get round all accessories. I generally get to 80 or 90%. I usually put 70% as my LIM.

I put a LIM that decorative lighting is not removed with earth continuity checked to casings only (R2 test). (I've removed decorative and down lights before and found the ceiling damaged and they are near impossible to get back up)

I use the ESC guide as my yardstick for coding.

PC

i assume then you allow a day for that ?????

i allow a day for it,,,,,,but reading some of these posts i need to tighten up my limitations i think......

I generally inspect as many accessories as possible, but LIM any that are decrotive chandeliers, high levels outside lights. I also LIM boiler control wiring, other than wired stats.

I also ask the customer to remove any plugs form sockets before I arrive and I remove any lamps upon arrival.

ian

Hello mate

Have you got any past 2391-10papers for me to revise with I write my exam in October and want to start working through papers

Cheers Brendon

I've found that different meters seem to give different readings doing the exact same test (meggar and fluke)

No two reports on a property give the same same readings