Petition To Change The Law Regarding Cats In Rta's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From someone who has seen the result of very many cat RTAs, I disagree. If you chuck an animal out into the wild to roam then you cannot 'blame' the motorist.

It is an offence to let dogs or farm animals roam on a public highway. It's NOT illegal for a cat to be there.

If there was a change in the law, it would have to work both ways. It's not doable.

Thanks for the so called support on here I think the law should be changed so that if a cat is hit by someone they ahould report it to someone and not just drive away

I clipped a cat once. Was driving safely - it ran out from undergrowth as the car passed. It rolled over but ran away.

A LOT of cats make it home, or crawl under a bush to die.Few are killed outright.

Who do you propose it is reported to? There is no requirement for a cat to wear a collar or have a microchip. How do you see this system you propose working. We get cats regularly injured or dead and unidentifiable.

I bet the police would love the "I may have clipped a tabby cat on Long Road at 10pm last night, it ran away", "have you had any reports of my ginger cat" etc etc etc.

Completely unworkable.

Got kids?

Try explaining it to them. not looking forward to It myself... little Jimmy were sorry the man in the lorry ran over Mr fluffypants!

You don't have to do that with a pheasant.

I like trucking I like trucking I like trucking I like trucking :slap

Last edited by a moderator:
"Pop the crucial question a ride for a ride" :pmsl:

Bedford Km

Scamell

Ford D series

ERF B series

And of course the brand new

Leyland Roadtrain

Thats when wagons had some character about them, only missing the Seddon Atkinson

As for cat being run over, unless the things are chipped or have some other form of ID what good would it be to report running one over?

You could always start a petition to bring in yearly licencing & compusory chipping of cats for the owners of cats, that would then give you some base to bring in a law for drivers to report when they hit one.

I've hit two in my time.

1. ran away
  2. nothing left to identify.............28 tons of tracked sp gun does that :|

Last edited by a moderator:
Got kids?

Try explaining it to them. not looking forward to It myself... :slap
You can not wrap kids in cotton wool for all their lives. "Death" is a fact of "life" better to start now with "little tiddles" than later

I think they should bring out a law to prosecute owners who cats **** in peoples  garden. If I let my dog do did there would be hell to play 

Its not illegal for a kid to be there either. does that mean i dont have to stop if i hit one?
In law you have to report that.

It's not quite 'fair' on the motorist hitting something that is turfed out of the house alone.

We had a case last year where a car hit an expensive sheep. The farmer wanted to claim on the drivers insurance for the loss. The car driver's insurance went for the farmer and the farmer's insurance ended up paying for the damage to the car - as the wall was in bad order. Not how the farmer thought it was going to go!

You "fence against your own stock" if you let a cat run about in the road, what you think is going to happen?? I might as well lend my car to "joyriders" and wonder when it gets damaged.

Why should the motorist take the thing to a vet and incur costs?? He never did anything wrong.

john..

Latest posts