Regulations Exercise

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manator

©Honorary Essex Boy™
Reaction score
The regulations and common sense. Contradiction or not?

Regulations are set in place for various reasons but mainly I suppose to 'regulate', we sometimes refer to the regulations with some distaste, many times they do go against what we believe or do not follow common sense, or do they?

Unfortunately regulations have to be written in legal jargon, it stands therefore that for every regulation there is a legal argument, this is the basis of all our laws and the reason we have so many lawyers.

Firstly we have to establish the lawful status of the regulation, this has a direct bearing on its legal standing, most people get the two mixed up and often come to the wrong conclusions based on this mistake.

So I have identified a difference with the above statements and given some argument, but how do we know if the regulation is Law, or is guidance?

Firstly the word 'regulation' often infers a legal act, and that is the first clue, for a regulation to become law it must first be passed by parliament as an 'act', the process used to pass all laws, if a regulation has not been passed by parliament it is not Law.

Any regulation not passed by act of parliament is just a guideline and used more as a standard rather than an enforced rule.

So why have regulations if they are not enforced under law?

The simple answer is so that all who are following the examples used in the regulations will be 'inline' with good practice techniques and tried and tested guides. Very useful for people like us who carry out electrical installations all over the country for an example.

Now let us take BS7671 as our example, it is after all more what we all know and use each and every day.

We are all fully aware that these regulations are not law, it has been pointed out in a number of cases and was a couple of years ago brought to a definitive close when a Scottish court judge concluded that BS7671 was not law and therefore not admissible in a court of law as a tool for prosecution. The argument here could be that if it is not law then non conformity to these regulations would not result in a prosecution. Well that would be very foolish and I will explain.

The court case that was brought before the Scottish Court was brought under the BS7671 regulations, the simple fact that they are not law led the Judge to come to the only conclusion that the evidence brought was not acceptable. Arguments followed that BS7671 could be used as a yardstick as to what was right, and what was wrong, but this is were common sense and the law differ, the law deals with facts and the fact here was BS7671 is not law, therefore any argument placed on the basis of BS7671 could not be entered.

An outline of this case and the resulting responses can be found here:

TEF post

What we now have to consider is what outcome could have been achieved if the prosecution was brought under a statute regulation?

We have already established that BS7671 is not law, but many things that constitute those regulations are. So what are they?

Well this is where you come in, many regulations are in force during our normal day to day existence that are statutory and we often overlook them. As an exercise look over my post and the link provided and see if you could have come up with a successful prosecution.

I normally exclude members who I think could provide direct answers, however in this case I will allow Sidewinder to interject :)

Manator,

When was this case please?

Also, I am not familiar with the technicalities of Scots law, however, it is founded on the same principles as English/Welsh law.

I would not be and am not happy with the comments of they Judge, however, I would personally have questioned his competence to act I this case.

Also, there are differences between Civil (Common) & Criminal (Statute) law, I would have to give the Judge the benefit of the doubt with y current knowledge of the case.

My gut instinct would be to take the solicitor & the barrister to the Law Society for incompetence in preparing the case TBH!

Just scoobed you for the first mistake made in this case by the legal team. This case was brought and discussed on this very forum by the electrician who acted as the credible witness. In the link provided I was one of the contributors to the following discusion.

Just scoobed you for the first mistake made in this case by the legal team. This case was brought and discussed on this very forum by the electrician who acted as the credible witness. In the link provided I was one of the contributors to the following discusion.
Excuse me for being dumb, but your link is NOT to a TEF posting, but an article on voltium.co.uk

Yes Scottish law differs to that in England and Wales, but that just means we have our own laws enacted by the Scottish government. In most areas they are broadly the same as the rest of the UK, but I'm no legal expert.

I realised that you were one of the contributors as I know your real name! ;)

I'm gonna have to look up the rest of it now, unless you have "spoilers", as Dr. River Song would say! ;) ; ) ;)

Excuse me for being dumb, but your link is NOT to a TEF posting, but an article on voltium.co.uk

Yes Scottish law differs to that in England and Wales, but that just means we have our own laws enacted by the Scottish government. In most areas they are broadly the same as the rest of the UK, but I'm no legal expert.
The judge in this case took the stance that the prosecution based their evidence and therefore argument on BS7671, as this regulation was not law, the judge reluctantly disgarded the evidence. This judgement, whilst brought in a Scottish court, could be not be attributed to any differences in judicial areas, but importantly to particulars in law.

The original post was by Matty, I have directed the link to the one he provided so not to cause confusion reading the entire posts thereafter.

The original post: http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/topic/10046-scottish-judge-says-bs7671-not-viewed-as-a-means-of-compliance/

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to concur as to the possible ignorance of legal representation in such cases. I'm unable to go into specific details at the moment but suffice to say a very close relative of mine is a barrister. He is sufficiently well known that his name appears in the national press and in some fairly high profile cases. He acts as both defence and prosecution on a variety of criminal matters.  Recently HE came to me on an electrical case he is looking at. From what I can gather a communal switch room in a local authority residential block has been giving cause for concern with reports of tripping and burning of cables - I DON'T know on who's side. The local authority had contacted the supplier & DNO who seemingly have been dragging their feet and bouncing it back and forth. (My guess is that the demand in the block has maybe increased and the supply is inadequate but that's conjecture on my part). I was able, thanks to my training, to point my relative to the ESQCR 2002, it being statutory and the fact that it requires ALL parties to co-operate on such issues. He has since quoted that to the relevant parties and the issue is I believe on the way to being solved.

If he hadn't been able to go back with that I wonder where the case would have been?

Had the legal representation in the OP's case even looked at Part 1 of the regs; Relationship With Statutory Regulations?

I don't know about Scottish law but another angle that can be taken is possibly one of Consumer Protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, my tuppence, as has already been stated, it was extremely foolhardy of any legal person to bring a prosecution against anyone on a breach of a non legal standing then the judge made the correct decision.

The legal team is in question, (as already stated)

Judges, as I understand it, can only work on the evidence presented by legal teams - if the material presented has holes in it, the judge will rule accordingly. It's what they are paid to do! Unfortuneately some of the legal teams are not very clever, as we have seen by the amount of failed CPS cases that make the news.

I was of the impression that although BS 7671 is a non statutory document, compliance with it can be argued to show compliance with the relevant statutory "umbrella" law; the Health and Safety at Work Act, which I assume should have been the act the prosecution should have been brought to court under in the first place. 

That being the case it seems odd to me that the judge can dismiss BS7671 out of hand as HASAW is not specific to electrical installations and the regulations governing the trade would need to be referred to - however, I suppose if the prosecution started with the wrong act in the first place then there's not much room for manoeuvre in a legal sense.

PhilM,

The case was not a statute law one, it was in the civil courts.

Thus whilst statute law is relevant, it is case law that is the basis for the judgements, and in this case the judge compounded the issue.

Basically, the legal team for the prosecution mucked up big time, and that has resulted in a detriment to the industry as a whole.

Is the case not brought to prosecution under the same statute law regardless of whether is in the criminal court or civil court then? 

I assumed the only difference between the 2 is whether it is a prosecution by the CPS or by a private individual but the laws of the land are the same in both cases. 

Maybe this is why I'm not a lawyer :Blushing

Where is our resident brief when you need him! ;)

Generally, IIRC, you can use Statute Law in a civil case to illustrate guilt, it's not quite the same.

As I understand it, you cannot bring a civil case under say EAWR.

You would have to say demonstrate that there was negligence or a breach of duty of care and use EWAWR to illustrate how it could/should have been done.

A subtle, but crucial distinction.

I await correction! ;)