phase id

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milo

Reaction score
installing new emg. lights in a hospitil. was built 1999-2003 all circuits are wired as per phase colour (red yellow blue black) now we are connecting on to local circuits using new colours (brown gray black blue ) so when it comes to the blue phase and we connect in we have blue feed and blue neutral now which one do you id to conform with 17th edition?

how about

L1

L2

L3

N

no worries, :D

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:21 ----------

but if you do want to colour code then it should be to the 17th edition,

ie Br Blk Gry Blu as that is the current standard colours.

Ohh!

Good one!

Me I would use numbers & letters probably fitting N's to the neutrals & L3 to the lives.

I may also be tempted to put a small dual colours sticker inside the fitting/jb etc & on the outside a warning of some sort if possible.

Wrong perhaps I know but I would be tempted to wrap the L3 blue with red tape or fit red sleeving, or possibly even brown or grey maybe the best! ;)

Probably should be new phase colours.

I recently fitted a large 3ph db to a premises wired in old colours the incomer was ryb, all the outgoers were br, bl, gr, look it even takes more to type!

I marked the incomer with the new phase colours as well as stickering up in & out.

Last edited by a moderator:
installing new emg. lights in a hospitil. was built 1999-2003 all circuits are wired as per phase colour (red yellow blue black) now we are connecting on to local circuits using new colours (brown gray black blue ) so when it comes to the blue phase and we connect in we have blue feed and blue neutral now which one do you id to conform with 17th edition?
its

Brown

Black

Grey

in that order,

I suggest if for example you have to extend a neutral to an accessory on L3 phase you have 2 blue conductors, so at the termination you should mark all the conductors the updated colours. Then there is no confusion.

we have been marking the conductores L1 L2 L3 N just thought it was a intresting subject .The trust wants us to mark the blue N conductor black

Is'nt the whole thing so bloody ridiculas ??? The most stupid thing ever to be foisted upon us . Still be causing confusion in 100 yrs . Bloody stupid bunch of desk flying , paper shuffling, collar and tie wearing, wazocks !!!

we have been marking the conductores L1 L2 L3 N just thought it was a intresting subject .The trust wants us to mark the blue N conductor black
you can do whatever the customer wants,

just get them to sign the design part and note the deviation from the current regs in the box.!

a N conductor coloured black is NOT to current regs so unless you make it a deviation then its not allowed,

and it could be seen as NOT leaving the installation safe as anyone following you would rightly expect wiring done in 2011 to be to current standards and colourings.

only an opinion mind. :|

BRB Pg 342 Appendix 7 2.2
This exact question is covered by Table 7A as Sparkytim has already pointed out.

Doc H.

So if you were using a 3 core SWA cable on a single phase install would you put sleaving over the grey and black for the Neutral and earth id or would you mark the conductors L1, N, E,?

Must admit I am not a big fan of the new colours.

Cheers Steve

Latest posts