piped underfloor heating control

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ive been asked to provide power for underfloor piped heating (all glass extension)

the way it has been explained is

one boiler(not sure if it is a combi) presently supplys heating and water with pump/controller and thermastat

an additional combi boiler is now being installed at the other end of a very old very large cottage to provide hot water only

the exisiting boiler is to provide heating only

(dont ask me why- something to do with existing being underrated)

anyhoo plumber involved has asked me if we can simply link from the existing pump(middle and rear of cottage) to a new flooring pump (also middle but front of cottage - approx distance >10m) idea being so the existing controller/thermastat will control the underfloor piped heating and also the rads at the same time

sounds simple but is it?

any thoughts please

(customer wants it this way)

thanks

I installed this type of system on my self build some 10 years ago so any questions please fire away.

The underfloor heating should be divided into zones of approx 100m pipe lengths which will do a room of about 12 sq. meters. If the area you need to cover is greater than this then you will need control via valve,mixer,pump,thermostats and controller. As a guide my lounge is 7.5m x 4.3m and this required two pipe runs (200m) back to the manifold. Also remember that UFH is not instantaneaous and as a guide starts and finishes 2 hours before a radiator system. Bear this in mind if you are running rads and UFH off the same controllers.

As its for a conservatory I am guessing they are trying to build it without planning? Isn't there something in the PD rights that requires the extension built under PD to have a separately controlled heating system that complies with part L1?