PIR. Do I mention this?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gselectrical

Reaction score
Evening all.

During carrying out a PIR on an ancient property earlier today (full of code 1's) I found that the Supply to the building was not in the best condition.

The house is in the countryside, and is fed by 3 overhead lines attached to the side of the building (high level). From there 3 insulated cables are clipped (all twisted) down the side of the house, through a stone wall (no sleeve) through a doorframe and into the cut out/MET (about 15 metres).

These cables seem to have some sort of cotton braided insulation (not sure what its called)

Ze=0.69

PFC=0.35

PSSC=0.40

2 cables go into the cutout and one goes into the MET.

The supply just looks like a right mess.

Should I mention this on the PIR?

If you where carrying out major works here, would you get the supply checked/replaced?

Cheers.

GS

7671 does not cover DNO side, so shouldnt go on the PIR. i would, however, put it in writing that DNO should be contacted to sort it. or phone DNO whilst your there

As above, however;

Ammendment 1 draft of new Electrical Installation Condition Report includes supply equipment condition, so looks as if from next year( if it is adopted) we will need to make comment.

The DNO,s can be remarkably blase` about the safety of their systems , although they seem to take more notice in these days of H&S.

We worked on a house with overheads coming in, unusual for Birmingham but near the green belt , the insulation was VIR and perished ,exposing bare conductors. The owner phoned but they didn't seem interested , so next day we said phone again , don't mention original call, tell them your sparks has had a shock from the bare cable .

They came out next day , installed new overheads to the house and a PVC concentric down the wall.

The DNO,s can be remarkably blase` about the safety of their systems , although they seem to take more notice in these days of H&S.We worked on a house with overheads coming in, unusual for Birmingham but near the green belt , the insulation was VIR and perished ,exposing bare conductors. The owner phoned but they didn't seem interested , so next day we said phone again , don't mention original call, tell them your sparks has had a shock from the bare cable .

They came out next day , installed new overheads to the house and a PVC concentric down the wall.
Sounds like thats the way forward then! :D

Do we as sparks have a duty to report supply cables that are in such a poor condition? I mean what would you do if you went to such a property to replace a DB?

Also, what type of insulation is this on the supply cable? VIR? Does it need reporting to DNO?

gs

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont see why you cant note it as a code 4. That way its not going to affect the outcome of the PIR but allows you to record your concerns....I think The ESC give similar guidance for noting items of potential concern that are not in themselves directly covered in specific terms by BS 7671....makes more sense to me than just ignoring the issue and covers your back if things do go pear shape at some time in the future

a1spark

As it's not a 7671 requirement, then perhaps you could record it in the observations, but don't give it a code.

I too have found that the DNOs are remarkably blase about the condition of their equipment. You really have to press hard to get anything changed.

Fair points made by PC & Andy...but as long as it is clearly noted somewhere on the PIR.

a1spark.