Pir Wiring - Two Wires Into Same Terminal? Eol?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grotius

Reaction score
I'd be grateful if anyone can help me understand the wiring in an ancient PIR I am replacing. I've replaced two others which were fine: 4 wires, two for power supply, two for relay. The new PIRs are working fine. The one I'm trying to replace now has eight wires coming into it from two cables. Two from the same cable are power, two also from that cable are relay, so that's easy. Two others (coming in from different cables) are joined to each other in a small terminal block tucked inside the PIR unit. The last two also from different cables are both wired into the same terminal in the PIR. It is the ninth terminal on an ancient Racal Guardall Scorpio PIR. From searching the internet I am wondering if it is an EOL connection but I don't know if that would fit with two wires going into the same terminal since I don't know what it is! It is the PIR that would probably be furthest from the panel in terms of the wiring. Can anyone advise me? Should I put the two wires into one of the two EOL terminals on my new PIR? Many thanks.

EOL as its used today did not really exist then, so it can not be EOL.

My guess is the 9th terminal is the "latch" terminal.

The idea was if you have more than one PIR on a circuit you could, but you would also connect all PIR's on the same circuit's latch terminal to each other and the panel. Which ever one went off first would light up constantly when the panel was switched off. It never caught on as it relied on the end user looking to see which device had activated.

You may even have 2 PIRs just on the same 8 core cable.

Without seeing it, I can only guess how it is wired. You will have to get out your multi meter and find out how it is wired.