Planning applications

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maselec

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone ever uses their local planning application notifications to drum up any work? The info is readily available on my local council's website and there are loads of extensions, shop signage needing lighting, new builds etc going on. I was thinking about writing some letters of introduction and trying to get my foot in a few doors. Has anyone else ever tried this and if did you get any response? Any thoughts on the idea?

Many thanks.

They certainly do down here. When I put in my planning app for an extension and garage, I had two lots of sparks asking if I wanted any help with the electrics. I wrote back saying that I was "unable to take on any apprentices at this time". Never heard any more from either of them. :D

Two of my local councils send out their information packs in a folder that has about 10-15 adverts for building related trades. A friend who is a builder & a local sparky whom i know both advertised for a year each and had no response

If you have the time and energy you may get a very small amount of work from it but I would not get your hopes up to much.

It works if you are clear of your target market.

I send a letter of introduction to everyone who applies for permission to erect an agricultural building. At the last count I'd sent 120 letters had 10 responses and 8 new customers.

If anyone knows a more cost effective way of generating leads, I'd like to know it!

When I first started out self employed I tried this.

I must have sent close on 100 letters and I think I got 2 jobs from it.

First thing, look WHO has submitted the application. If it's a building firm, then don't bother, they will only have their own trades. It's only worth trying for applications submitted by the householder themselves as they may not yet have anyone lined up to do the work.