Planning permission!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddybs23

Reaction score
I have almost finished a full rewire on a refurbished apartment which I was assured had planning permission!!! Today I find out no planning permission was applied for...! I'm not a member of NICEIC - NAPIT etc. and, find myself very worried - I was hoping to join NICEIC through this job and now fear all my work is for nothing - Can anyone advise a very unhappy, confused, not long in the job electrician please!

i did not involve bc for the work i used for my nic assesment, the assesor was not to happy about it, but it worked out ok.

at a guess i take it your work is not live, so if your worried get intouch with bc and tell them the situation

cant see what its got to do with them as long as they are not going to rip the place down? or am i missing the point here?

test it, get inspected on it, notify it. let the owner sort out building control. It is confusing issues using this job for the sake of simplicity you got anything else to use?

It's 16 Flats and my first big job... they basically ripped everything out but didn't change the structure of the build. I'm just worried my work would be classified as illegal as it didn't have planning permission!

Does it matter that no planning application has been made?

If you want to use this job as one of your jobs to show to the NICEIC, why can't you?

Any major rewire, or new install does not come under planning laws.

If the builders do not have planning permission for a new build, then you could have a problem in that the building may not be there for your assessment as the planners may have told them to demolish it :)

Any rewire done to a building already in use even if no planning application is in effect has little impact on the wiring of the building.

I would notify building control that you are doing the work, pay the going fee, or see if they would waive the fee due to you using the work to become registered on a scheme.

I wouldn't involve building control at all.

It is the owner of the property or householder that has the responsibility to notify.

You have been informed that that notification has been made through a planning application. You have no responsibility to do anything.

I wouldn't involve building control at all.It is the owner of the property or householder that has the responsibility to notify.

You have been informed that that notification has been made through a planning application. You have no responsibility to do anything.
True but you do have the responsibility to notify within 30 days of completion that your electrical work conforms to all building regulations.

If a member of a scheme this is done through your scam provider.

If you are not on a scheme then notification should be given before the start of works, and compliance with the local building control will vary from council to council.

When part p came into effect I did not have to pay for any electrical notifications because they had me registered as a approved contractor, so when I did register my jobs that was shown for assessment actually cost me nothing, and where already building compliance certificated through the building control.

Before you do anything, get your money off the builder. I don't like the sound of him, is he stupid or what, Surely you need planning permision to turn a building into 16 flats. Planning permission is not your problem, getting paid is the main thing here, you can always do another job for assessment.

Deke

My understanding is that where an installer is registerd with a Part P self certification scheme, the responsibility is for either the installer or the installers scheme registration body to notify within 30 days.

Where the installer is not registered with a scheme, notification should be (unless in an emergency situation) before the work commences.

It is the responsibility of the owner or householder to ensure compliance with building regulations. If they wish to employ someone that is not registered with any scheme, that is their problem.

A tradesman has no responsibility to ensure that planning permission, or notification has been made, unless he is contracted to do so.

When I went to work at the O2, I never asked whether planning permission had been granted. Not my responsibility.

My understanding is that where an installer is registerd with a Part P self certification scheme, the responsibility is for either the installer or the installers scheme registration body to notify within 30 days.Where the installer is not registered with a scheme, notification should be (unless in an emergency situation) before the work commences.

It is the responsibility of the owner or householder to ensure compliance with building regulations. If they wish to employ someone that is not registered with any scheme, that is their problem.

A tradesman has no responsibility to ensure that planning permission, or notification has been made, unless he is contracted to do so.

When I went to work at the O2, I never asked whether planning permission had been granted. Not my responsibility.
And had it , or did Mr Blair forget. :)

Before you do anything, get your money off the builder. I don't like the sound of him, is he stupid or what, Surely you need planning permision to turn a building into 16 flats. Planning permission is not your problem, getting paid is the main thing here, you can always do another job for assessment.Deke
My thoughts too I would be more worried about my money than the part p been ripped of by builders to often.

I'd get your bill in PDQ if I were you.

Planning permission is not required for a rewire of an existing building. So, not your problem.

Get paid first. Then sort the assessment, or find another job to assess.

I'll echo the sentiments expressed already that the planning side is nothing to do with you. The less the bureaucrats poke their noses into things the better in my book, so I certainly wouldn't be running off to tell them anything. I don't see how whether planning consent was granted or not is relevant to any scheme assessment of your electrical work either. I'd just get the bill paid as quickly as possible.

As for any illegality, as I understand it it isn't actually against the law to build something without planning consent anyway. The illegality comes only if upon it being discovered by the authorities and ordered to restore things to how they were, the person responsible refuses to do so. Sometimes "unauthorized" works which are discovered can be covered by a retrospective planning application. If the conversion goes undetected for several years (the period dependent upon the specifics of the case), the statute of limitations on enforcement expires and then there's nothing the council can do about it.