Plastering Over Blanking Plate

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Spark

Reaction score
Tomorrow i am going to fit a blanking plate to a redundant light switch in a domestic property.  The live cables will still be in the back box which i will put into wagos, but i cannot disconnect them from the loft as they go through to the other side of the wall which is newly decorated and the switch feed is looped at both switches.

Customer says he is going to get the plasterer to skim over the blanking plate once I have finished as he doesnt like the idea of having a blanking plate on the wall even though I have got a brushed chrome one.  I told him (honestly) not to plaster over it, but its his house and he is going to do it anyway. :C

Yeah know what you mean Slips, but as I will be going back to do more work on this property then i know it will have been done.  I feel like recording it down that I have advised customer not to do it, but to date have built up a really good relationship with them and more work is on my way.  Apart from this one thing I have got them to change their mind on other stuff and they have taken my advice.

Technically as the other switch is behind they could do it. What are safe zones anyway only sparks know about them. I personally would not want it covered but as you say they will do what they want.

Where internal walls are no more then 100mm thick....

and the accessory positions can be determined from the opposite side of the wall...

then the "Safe Zones" are mirrored to the opposite side of the wall in the adjoining room...

522.6.101(v)  pg 125

So if you have a switch on the opposite wall then the joint could be hidden in the one room..

providing it is a MF joint method!!!

Guinness

Batty's been podging the queue again while I was typing!!!

X(

Last edited by a moderator:
Where internal walls are no more then 100mm thick....

and the accessory positions can be determined from the opposite side of the wall...

then the "Safe Zones" are mirrored to the opposite side of the wall in the adjoining room...

522.6.101(v)  pg 125

So if you have a switch on the opposite wall then the joint could be hidden in the one room..

providing it is a MF joint method!!!

Guinness

Batty's been podging the queue again while I was typing!!!

X(
Brick wall plus plaster definatley thicker than 100mm, but you could easily determine when standing in the doorway where the other switch is. 

Specs i feel rude, I will have to stop by one day as I keep going past your humble abode.

Rude..RUDE.... !!!

Deke told me you were positively VULGAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:innocent

Can't say what Steptoe called you....   Swear filter an all you know!  ] :)
Normally Im very well mannered and polite.  Its amazing what happens when someone forces you to drink lots of alcohol in a short space of time! Guinness   Guinness   Guinness   ]:)