Plastic Consumer units

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mod

Reaction score
Hi I am aware that plastic consumer units need to be replaced with metal ones especially if they are in an area of an escape route. My question is if the consumer unit is not in an escape route like under the stairs but let’s say in a sitting room does it still need to be metal to pass the EICR. I believe there are metal casings you can buy to cover them as a temporary measure until it is replaced

Hi I am aware that plastic consumer units need to be replaced with metal ones especially if they are in an area of an escape route.
Who told you that, they are non compliant with the current regulations and have been since 2015, but in the absence of other issues there is nothing compelling replacement of them

My question is if the consumer unit is not in an escape route like under the stairs but let’s say in a sitting room does it still need to be metal to pass the EICR.

EICRs are either unsatsifactory or satsifactory (not pass/fail) [sorry, pet hate] Any C1 or C2 issues would cause an unsatsifactory outcome. In the absense of other issues, that the consumer unit is plastic would be a C3 on an escape route, and just noted with no code assigned elsewhere

I believe there are metal casings you can buy to cover them as a temporary measure until it is replaced
The current standards allow consumer units to be non-combustable or enclosed in a fire proof enclosure, if you were trying to meet the second of these, then I know of no product that can be bought to just install over the top without removal and reinstallation, I suspect that a small cupboard built out of pink plasterboard, with a door with a fire seal would probably meet the requirements if one was so inclined

The current standards allow consumer units to be non-combustable or enclosed in a fire proof enclosure, if you were trying to meet the second of these, then I know of no product that can be bought to just install over the top without removal and reinstallation, I suspect that a small cupboard built out of pink plasterboard, with a door with a fire seal would probably meet the requirements if one was so inclined
Popular in himo rentals, although said cupboard builders have a bad habit of putting the frame in the way of the board lid screws 🤦‍♀️

Who told you that, they are non compliant with the current regulations and have been since 2015, but in the absence of other issues there is nothing compelling replacement of them

EICRs are either unsatsifactory or satsifactory (not pass/fail) [sorry, pet hate] Any C1 or C2 issues would cause an unsatsifactory outcome. In the absense of other issues, that the consumer unit is plastic would be a C3 on an escape route, and just noted with no code assigned elsewhere

Thanks

Here you go
Consumer unit fire cover although it may be cheaper to replace the consumer unit

Their are a lot of other bits and pieces on their site including fire suppression tubes that can be fitted inside consuner units

So it’s a pass? My pet hate is unnecessary pedanticism.

So it’s a pass? My pet hate is unnecessary pedanticism.
We are great believers in educating people on this forum 😀.

OSG, and other materials put out by the likes on the NICEIC, contain a lot of "dumbed down' information. This causes a lot of confusion, and unnecessary expenditure for customers.

So it’s a pass?

The fact that the consumer unit is plastic would not, on its own cause an EICR to be unsatisfactory, there could of course be other issues (inc. with the consumer unit that would result in an unsatsifactory outcome)

If your consumer unit is chillin' under the stairs and not in an escape route, it doesn't necessarily have to be metal for the EICR. But, hey, you can snag those metal casings for some extra peace of mind until you get around to replacing it.

If your consumer unit is chillin' under the stairs and not in an escape route, it doesn't necessarily have to be metal for the EICR. But, hey, you can snag those metal casings for some extra peace of mind until you get around to replacing it.
I am not disagreeing with your theory, but if it’s a fire in the c/u then the stairs are quite an important escape route!!