"Plug and play hob"

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyboy

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a customer which went and bought a "plug and play" induction hob from AO but when they came to deliver and install had said it needs a dedicated circuit as its over 3kW.

It is a Bosch pug61raa5b

https://ao.com/product/pug61raa5b-b...2fOiEqrgQ2w1_Oslf2YaAlFSEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I ended up calling Bosch to confirm the details as the specs do say 3.7kW, however it's fitted with a 13A plug top. They say "yes, it is designed so you can just plug and play without an electrician" - I questioned how 3.7kW through a 13A plug top was possible without popping the fuse was possible, they couldn't answer.
It does have a power management function which limits the rings so you can't use maximum power on all 4.

I'm sure I am not the first to come across this and just wanted clarification. Is it actually 3.7kW?! If so, how is it possible on a 13A plug top?
Understand AOs point of view in terms of dedicated circuit but it does come across misleading for the customer.

The 3.7 kw is probably the suk total of the rings but I suspect that the unit has intelligence to limit the load within 13A max

i seriously wouldn’t be losing any sleep over it

seen quite a few of these over the years

Spec from Bosch site:

"Power management options for 16A, 13A or 10A connection: limit the maximum power if needed (depends on fuse protection of electric installation).
Power cord 1.1 m UK 3 pin plug: plug and play, no electrician required for installation.
This hob is equipped with a UK 3 pin plug for an easy plug & play installation. The plug limits the maximum power output to 3.7 KW. For higher power output, please select a hob without plug and ensure installation is carried out by a qualified electrician."

We have a similar Bosch hob for the last 5 years, it is plugged into a 13amp socket, it is rated at 3.8 kW and has never blown the fuse. I suspect as others have said whilst the cumulative total is 3.8 kW, it cant / wont run all of the channels at maximum power, termed 'boost'. Running all the channels at maximum, number 9. on the display is fine. I would fit it and dont worry about it, you dont run them at max for long, water in a pan is boiling literally within seconds, absolutely brilliant.

Appreciate all the comments.
I agree it wont be a problem but is frustrating that AO and Bosch make it clear that it will not need a dedicated circuit as it contains power management.
Anyway, I think the client has now opted for a hob which is rated at under 3kW on the site.

@michael8554 what I couldn't see on their site, or manual was how to limit to 13A or 10A...

Latest posts