Zanussi Plug & Play hob

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikep

Gold Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone installed a Zanussi 4 plate Induction plug & play hob, the thing is it comes with a 13a plug and only draws 3Kw, I thought it was for demo purposes, plug it in any socket and away you go.

Copied this from their advert:

The new Plug and Play INDUCTION hob from Zanussi can be plugged into any domestic socket so is ready to go when you are.

The Plug and Play gives you freedom to site your hob anywhere that has access to a standard electric socket. The Zanussi Plug and Play fits into a standard 60 cm cut-out so is ideal for island cooking! The beauty of the Plug and Play hob is that you can site it near any 13 amp socket plug and instant induction cooking is at your fingertips. Hard wiring is not necessary, so professional electrical installation is not needed. Easy!

Shows you how efficient they are !

I am just going out now to rewire a 3kw  bread oven  (so it calls for heat more than a standard oven)circuit. Spec said 13a plug is ok. Its been in use for 2 months and only used twice a week for half a day and has burnt out the plug, the socket and the fcu. When i checked the voltage  a few times its never been less than 240v.

I now really dont like fitting any 3kw stuff on plugs and sockets or fcu's anymore,  i blame poorly made s**tty  accesories these days and nothing to do with our 'harmonised' voltage.

a 3KW induction hob is going to be pretty poor if you try and use all 4 rings together, 750W each. Lets hope you are not in a hurry.

And who wants a trailing lead plugging into a socket.  Ah I know, mr DIY will be "clever" and fit a 13A socket as a spur under the worktop in the back of a unit.

I am just going out now to rewire a 3kw  bread oven  (so it calls for heat more than a standard oven)circuit. Spec said 13a plug is ok. Its been in use for 2 months and only used twice a week for half a day and has burnt out the plug, the socket and the fcu. When i checked the voltage  a few times its never been less than 240v.

I now really dont like fitting any 3kw stuff on plugs and sockets or fcu's anymore,  i blame poorly made s**tty  accesories these days and nothing to do with our 'harmonised' voltage.
any slight fault with the terminations and an applianace like that will burnthem  out

At a constant 13A load, not many FCU's will last long, even if perfectly installed.

Around here, a lot of people used to use them to feed storage heaters years ago, and the old ones survived, but fit a new replacement now and it won't last long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rewired the oven circuit today. When i rewired the house last year i put a radial circuit in for the bread oven and tails for a new kitchen ring as extension being built.

Kitchen finished & wired by others who cut off cooker 32a supply, my new radial & a 2nd radial that fed fridge freezer . They then used the new ring for all the kitchen plus  the 3kw bread oven , 2.2 kw normal oven & fridge freezer.

Plug from oven, no fuses blown

20160525_110051.jpg

I gonna fit it next week so fingers crossed, it maybe that we are too use to glowing elements and blinding Halogen hobs, just think of the wasted energy radiating off of the old hobs, probably 30-40% wasted heat whereas  with the induction it goes straight into the pans structure so not a lot of wasted energy, I would imagine that it gives the pan a good whack of energy but then backs off the power only using enough to continue the required heat for that saucepan,  and also diverting the required power to keep everything happy.

It has a 2.5mm lead and a standard moulded 13a plug & lead can be removed and hard wired, think it can be wired across 2 phases, but will try and run it up when fitted, it's quite funny as there is a  6mm 32a mcb supply from the old cooker so will just swop it for an MK 2g socket as the oven is fitted with a plug as well.

I will make a note on the paperwork I think as I do not trust these damn new inventions with cheap flex & moulded plugs.

Anyway heres the specification attached below, note the current draw for each zone it proves it must back off other zones to achieve a balance as added up they come to 6.5Kw.

I love  how they give you no guidance for wiring or fuse selection on most appliances, in this manual no other mention of wiring except you plug it in.

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 20.25.33.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It must be below the rating otherwise it would blow the manufacturers fuse constantly, if I cut the plug off and wire into an isolator and a 16amp Mcb and it catches on fire its down to me, likewise with a 13a Fsu but it can be wired with bigger heatproof flex but there is no information to say what size fuse to protect it, when you phone these companies up they don't have any technical staff to answer your questions. so that is why I will use the plug.

Latest posts