Plumber's eh!!!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulh

Reaction score
I have been working in a house and couldn't find the cold water mains intake. The customer called their plumber who's reply was ...quote"Yeah I couldn't find it either. Your electrician can use the secondary stopcock in the upstairs airing cupboard for anything he need's" un-quote. I told the customer he must be a good plumber as he can obviously do electrics as well, very flexible not.

My problem is the jerk has used copper pipe for most of the installation and when it got difficult or out of site he has used plastic. So no continuity to down stairs from stopcock upstairs(not that it would of been any good anyway). ho hum. now then how many floorboards can I lift?

we don't have one! Only the stopcock outside our front door. How does the water come into the house? If that's plastic thought no need to bond?

'Can't find the main stopcock'? That's like a sparky not finding the cutout!

What are you doing? Some form of bonding?

I have the same in a house i rent out. No main stopcock except by the meter in the pavement. The original lead pipe comes in under the concrete floor and it t's, one branch to the kitchen sink and one up to the old airing cupboard. When i (yes i) fitted the new boiler i fitted a stopcock in that cupboard and everything else onwards is in plastic, but picks up the old copper for the bathroom. I bonded to under the kitchen sink. As it was wired to the 16th , the bathroom was also bonded

The house has no bonding whatsoever and the cu is an old wylex board with the old push button type cb's instead of the re-wireable fuses.....nice.

The whole house is due for a big extension and a complete re-wire but until that start's they want a "safe" house to temporarily move in to from rented accom. Somebody has done some wiring and the old wiring is probably 30/40 years old although the house itself is victorian.