points served

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is rated at 13 amps try plugging two 13 amp appliances into it and see how long it will last.Batty
I am sure this happens quite often..nothing happens

Depends on make of socket for one thing and obviously how long things are plugged in but try plugging two 3 kw heaters in see how you get on.

Batty

Depends on make of socket for one thing and obviously how long things are plugged in but try plugging two 3 kw heaters in see how you get on.Batty
not using my electricity i wont

a double socket is classed as a single point.

I'm sure i've read it somewhere, either the regs, osg, iee doc, or nic literature.

D.

Begs interesting questions. If a radial from a ring can be in 1.5mm T + E as per the OSG then the implication is that it must be taking under 16A (approx!!!) . However if a 2 gang socket is fitted it must imply that 2 x 13A can be drawn as this is the only fused protection against overload. Balanced against this is what is the chance of overload in a domestic situation? Apart from a kitchen - very little - and even then with diverity very remote.

Can see all arguements - but thinking about it in terms of a PIR how could recognised a potential overload if all the electrical readings were OK?

I would agree that this is a 1 point - but in the terms of electrical safety the number of points served is really meaningless as long as the cable is protected from overload and the circuit disconnects within the required time in the event of a fault.

no its not its obviously 26Amp
Yet again you are showing yourself up. X(

Go and find a double socket and look at the back of it. You will find '13 Amps' marked on it NOT '26 Amps' FFS!

If you think nothing happens when 26A is drawn from a 13A socket then you're a fool. :_|

Depends on make of socket for one thing and obviously how long things are plugged in but try plugging two 3 kw heaters in see how you get on.Batty
That's a good point Batty, but in reality very unlikely someone is going to do that..

Pray

That's a good point Batty, but in reality very unlikely someone is going to do that..Pray
I know it unlikely the point I was making to our friend is that a double socket is rated at 13 amps not 26 amps. I remember reading an article about testing 13 amp sockets. They where tested over a period at a greater rate than 13 amps. Branded ones like MK stood up best but at about 19 amps they did suffer damage. But I have seen double sockets under sinks Etc used for plugging in two appliances. I would always put in two single sockets.

Batty

Can I make a point regarding the loading of sockets?

A well know manufacturer of socket outlets (desk top solutions etc), overcame the loading issue on strips (as indicated by clients) by wiring them in a 2.5mm ring (internally).

Don

Can I make a point regarding the loading of sockets?A well know manufacturer of socket outlets (desk top solutions etc), overcame the loading issue on strips (as indicated by clients) by wiring them in a 2.5mm ring (internally).

Don
Simple if you know how!

A well know manufacturer
Who might that be?

Point taken, but the Don boy's have worked at a leading manufacturer of multi point outlets.A double socket is protected by at worst case, a 32A MCB.

A double socket can have 2 x 13A plugs connected to it.

A double socket must be capable of passing 26A without exceeding a given temperature, according to CE tests.

(Apologies I don't have the details to hand at present)

Don
Quite right, that's why there will always be 'discussions' about it.

Yet again you are showing yourself up. X( Go and find a double socket and look at the back of it. You will find '13 Amps' marked on it NOT '26 Amps' FFS!

If you think nothing happens when 26A is drawn from a 13A socket then you're a fool. :_|
Take your blinkers off, its 13A PER SOCKET ,

I already knew the answer but i phoned MK technical anyway and found myself asking this STUPID question. Here confirmed to me that i am obviously correct and he laughed to think anyone would actually think it wasn't 13A PER SOCKET.

A 'socket outlet' is the entire socket whether it is a one or two gang design. If you read the MK specification guide you will find that they state 'maximum load' as 13A!

Even the 3 way sockets are 13A maximum (they even include a 13A fuse to ensure you cannot overload the socket). By your 'logic' it should be able to handle 39A! And the four way ones could pull 52A.

Let us take the following situation. A 2-gang socket outlet is taken from a ring main as an unfused spur, the cable supplying it is T&E 2.5mm (a common situation). If you loaded that socket with 26A, then unless you are using a 'clipped direct' installation method, you will pulling more current than the cable can handle (Table 4D5). And even if it was 'clipped direct' then you are 1A below the maximum current carrying capacity of 2.5mm T&E.

Somehow I don't think the IEE will of missed that mistake! Because if they did then there is going to have to be a lot of unfused spurs being ripped out of houses up and down the country!

If you did phone up MK then I don't think the guy was laughing at me was he Nicky?

you better start putting warning notices on all your double sockets from now on then you pair of plonkers