points served

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Page 2 of this tech sheet for MK logic plus...http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/36688.pdf

left hand side

therefore double gangs are 26A, otherwise no need for except statement re 3 gang? ?:|

This I would suggest concurs with Nicky's earlier post! ;) {post#36}

(Although there are areas I agree to disagree with Mr T. on..

to tape or not to tape .. that is the question! ; \

26A for a double socket is what MK suggest for their Logic Plus range;) :) )
I've always been of the opinion that a 'socket outlet' does not refer to the amount of actual socket points on the front plate but rather the whole item. Hence, as this tread started off with, a double socket is one point of utilisation not two. If you used a dual back box, such as this then you can mount two 1-gang 13A sockets side by side which can handle 26A as the are now two points of utilisation.

I'm sorry but I see this mistake all the time. I have a lot of catering companies who cater for bands on tour. The first thing they do in the morning is start plugging in tea urns to make tea and coffee for the crews. As they think that each 13A socket on a double socket can handle a 3kW boiler they plug two of them in.

Within an hour I'll get a call that there is a strange burning smell coming from 'somewhere', bear in mind that we are wired in 4mm for the ring main due to licensing requirements superseding IEE requirements. I have had to cut off both boilers at the plug and then remove and swap the double socket for a new one because the plugs and socket have welded/melted themselves together!

Then Mr Sworld, the issue of loading a double socket to the point of destruction is a ' installation application' issue, ie in this case..

A large Kitchen or even a workshop perhaps.

But less likely in a domestic environment (but still possible).

Don

I might also add that the 'STATE or CONDITION' of the plugs and sockets play an important part in respect of any heating issues due to loading.

The Godfather

Then Mr Sworld, the issue of loading a double socket to the point of destruction is a ' installation application' issue, ie in this case..A large Kitchen or even a workshop perhaps.

But less likely in a domestic environment (but still possible).

Don
True but it shows that double sockets cannot handle more than 13A as a continuous load. While the internal 'busbar' of a 13A double socket are quite chunky they are smaller in cross sectional area than the pins on a 13A plug and you wouldn't attempt to put more than 13A through one of those.

If you plug two large loads into a double socket (say a washing machine [10A] and a dishwasher [10A]) than diversity on each appliance will mean that it is very unlikely you will pull 20A at any point. This doesn't mean, as you said, it can handle a continuous 20A rating.

I'm going to stop posting on this thread as I've spent enough time explaining my reasoning behind why any gang-size socket is only rated at 13A. Some people have supported my reasoning, some never will. I hope that some will consider the arguments that have been posted by me (and others) and come to the same conclusion.

However I'm really not going to loose too much sleep about it. Guiness Drink

I might also add that the 'STATE or CONDITION' of the plugs and sockets play an important part in respect of any heating issues due to loading.The Godfather
Quite true GF.

I am going to refrain from further comment on this thread, until I can find some data to back up what I think.

Ostensibly, 13A per gang-outlet seems a logical assumption, but I don`t believe many makes could.

I accept that Mr. Sworlds description was, as you put it sir, "Installation application". However, if the question being asked is "can a double socket deliver 26A sustained"?, I believe mr. Sworld`s answer demonstrates that, in least with the make(s) he is utilising / finding, the answer would be a categoric "NO".

KME