Polystyrene Insulation And Electrical Cables

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skam

Reaction score
I have just had my kitchen done, the electrician fitted a tube ceiling light and took the cables for this through the roof, after which the builder fitted which i  believe to be polystyrene block insulation in the roof with the electrical cables, everything has now been plastered and I am worried if the insulation is safe with these cables. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Qualified electricians only please

Thanks, not sure what's best to do, is there any way to resolve this without having to break the new plastered ceiling?

Thanks, not sure what is best to do, is there any way of resolving this without having to disrupt the newly plastered ceiling? How dangerous is it if the pvc becomes brittle?

Here is the pic, cant say how long the lighting cable was there, but it does take a long time to affect it

2014-10-27 09.10.15.jpg

If the cable is not disturbed it will probably  pass insulation resistance checks for a long long time, however the official answer is its not correct.

A few years ago i wrapped a bit of off cut cable around a bock of polystyrene and left it in the van for over a year, and it did buggerall. Polystyrene beads are a different matter, they continuosly collapse onto the sheath to constantly leach the plasticiser.

If the cables are under the polystyrene i would be less concerned, if they are sat on top and loose to melt into insulation, that's a different ball game. But the general consesus is you don't do it!

I'd guess , because its a modern install, the material would be Celatex or similar not polystyrene .  Its your builder's responsibility to ensure he uses the correct stuff ,  ( And the Porcine fraternity will take to the air)