Power sensor before or after the surge protection?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirLouen

Reaction score
I have a main MCB with SPD all-in-one.

I also have a power sensor for the solar inverter to pick the information from the main service entrance.

Currently, I have the power sensor just in the first place before anything else, just in the main service entrance.

But since I have the SPD-MCB I was thinking if it was more adequate to put the power sensor behind it, just because, I understand that theoretically, in case of overvoltage, power sensor will be completely destroyed. In fact I did not install it, but the solar panel technician, but today I was checking the panel and I saw this wiring and made my think about it.

Maybe it doesn't matter. This is the power sensor by the way (Chint DDSU666)

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Chint - Chinese nasty tosh, it's definitely not a smart meter, but can be used for controlling batteries and the like
It was installed by the solar panel technician to control whether there was power or not coming from the grid, it will stop the inverter introducing power into the circuits. It's very simple in this sense, doesn't need to calculate anything complex is just used as an almost, binary sensor

Technically, it's not a smart meter but a power sensor. Probably they translated wrongly, I must readapt it to fit into the original question.

In fact is the exact same model as the Huawei DDSU666-H
Yes, against all expectations, Huawei is also Chinese and the have a very famous Inverter called Huawei SUN, and in fact the DDSU666-H is the "official" power sensor for such Inverter installations, but due to a shortage, Chint DDSU666 was the quick replacement, which is 99% the same.

Still, is not the question I was asking in first place, just consider the nature of a power sensor according to the original question.

Last edited:
It was installed by the solar panel technician to control whether there was power or not coming from the grid, it will stop the inverter introducing power into the circuits. It's very simple in this sense, doesn't need to calculate anything complex is just used as an almost, binary sensor
They are used to control export to the grid and turn batteries on and off/ control output from batteries to match demand within your building.

As for your original question, if you can get the spd in before it, it's probably a good idea, but I wouldn't be overly worried about that meter. Protecting gear like led lights/ computers is probably far more important.

As for your original question, if you can get the spd in before it, it's probably a good idea, but I wouldn't be overly worried about that meter. Protecting gear like led lights/ computers is probably far more important.
I was thinking so. Problem is that at least locally, they are selling this for £90-100
In Aliexpress it is for only £10 but it takes one century to arrive, so I would rather keep it safe to survive the most possible.