power usage of discharge lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that title would generate some interest. As you will know from the regs we work out power used in any form of discharge lighting by the formula; lamp watts x 1.8. I am doing an assignment for a design course and as there is a huge amount of fluorescent lighting involved it would be better to know an actual figure for amps used per fitting rather than using the 1.8 factor. If I use the 1.8 I will have to split it into too many circuits or use 2.5 for the wiring.

I have done a google but not come up with anything. I need a data sheet for a 4 x 36w modular grid ceiling fitting that shows me the current demand for the fitting.

headbang

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, I know the factor is 1.8. If you dont have the manufacturers info then you have to apply 1.8 to your calcs. I am doing an assignment for the 2391-20 course and the drawings we have been given for a hypothetical building. There are a lot of light fittings. Not sure how practical the klik idea is Septic. However cost doesnt come into it at all and theres no budget so I can use what I want.

Thanks guys, I know the factor is 1.8. If you dont have the manufacturers info then you have to apply 1.8 to your calcs. I am doing an assignment for the 2391-20 course and the drawings we have been given for a hypothetical building. There are a lot of light fittings. Not sure how practical the klik idea is Septic. However cost doesnt come into it at all and theres no budget so I can use what I want.
klik etc is often used on commercial premises for connecting lights. although if on more of a budget, the cable is direct to light