Pricing help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Brennan

Reaction score
Just got a job to pricefull re-wire, been and looked at it, its a semi detached house, a 2 story extension is going to be built on the side, making it 4 bedroom, there is a ensuite, bathroom, 2 lounge's, kitchen, apart from 3 of the bedrooms every room is havind downlights in, i will be also putting in an alarm, pre wiring cables for sky tv, jitchen is standard realy just adequite sockets above work tops and below, cooker point etc, all bedrooms have 3 double sockets in, lounges have 5 d sockets on, 2 way switching etc on landing, smokes on each floor and a heat in the kitchen.

I have had a quote from my supplier for materials and it has come back at

You really need to decide what you are worth per hour!

Work out the cost of running the business, estimate the number of hours you'll be working per week and then you know your costs. You then need to work out how much you want to earn per year. If you decided on

Just got a job to pricefull re-wire, been and looked at it, its a semi detached house, a 2 story extension is going to be built on the side, making it 4 bedroom, there is a ensuite, bathroom, 2 lounge's, kitchen, apart from 3 of the bedrooms every room is havind downlights in, i will be also putting in an alarm, pre wiring cables for sky tv, jitchen is standard realy just adequite sockets above work tops and below, cooker point etc, all bedrooms have 3 double sockets in, lounges have 5 d sockets on, 2 way switching etc on landing, smokes on each floor and a heat in the kitchen.I have had a quote from my supplier for materials and it has come back at

Normally i would just work out what i want and put my price in, but with the way things are there is always som1 around who will quote a lot lot cheaper and i dont wana loose the job, i were thinking about 2000 labour, there is a lot going into it so i think thats about fair

When quoting ensure you say what is in your price. If you are doing making good of chases ensure you say that as some sparks will not. I always allow for this as it can add a lot of time to a rewire. Have you got to move furniture or is customer going to do this. If you are its not going to be a one man job. What are walls made of I have had a couple in recent years with fletton walls one took me a couple of extra days as they where the hardest flettons I have come across and it also ruined my metabo chase cutter which cost over

Is it occupied or empty? I'll assume it's empty.

Give this a whirl and see how it comes out.

Allow 1.5 hours per point.

1 x twin socket = 1.5 hours

1 x 1gang switch = 1.5 hours

When you get to multi gang points, allow 1.5 hours per gang, so a 3gang switch will be 4.5hours. Sounds a lot, but it should all balance out. Count up your points and see how it works out. You may want to reduce or increase the times depending upon your speed. This method is mainly just to get a time frame together quickly, adjust to suit ;)

I've just won a local rewire on a 2 bed semi. I told the client up front that I wouldn't be the cheapest, but that he would get a top quality install with quality branded materials. After he signed my contract he told me he chose me because he liked me!!! The cheapest quote was 10% less and he had others more expensive. He's now asking for extras compared to his original spec - so there will be a little extra mark up on these.

I've just won a local rewire on a 2 bed semi. I told the client up front that I wouldn't be the cheapest, but that he would get a top quality install with quality branded materials. After he signed my contract he told me he chose me because he liked me!!! The cheapest quote was 10% less and he had others more expensive. He's now asking for extras compared to his original spec - so there will be a little extra mark up on these.
Nice to see you put it in writing for your quote and got it signed, hear so many stories of sparks not getting jobs confirmed with a signature and then having payment problems because they didn't do this or that. Top man! ;)