problems galore

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robj63

Reaction score
I am studying hopefully to become a domestic installer ( age 47) Im trying to get as much practical as i can so ive been checking my own house for problems / practicing testing etc so far ive come across the following, and in brackets after is what ive done

1 No main bonding to mains water ( bonded as close to incoming pipe as poss using 10mm)

2 No supp bonding in bathroom ( bonded using 4 mm)

3 Found out every socket and switch is missing an earth tail to back box ( work in progress)

4The house was built in mid 70s with an extension built on in 1999 and have discovered sockets in original part of house are on one circuit ( upstairs and down) sockets in kitchen are on same circuit as bedroom ( both in new part) this dosent sound right , was it common practice then to do this?

Re Q3, if the back boxes have one fixed metal lug then an earth fly-lead to the the back box is not essential. But many electricians do fit them anyway as they consider it good practice. Re Q4, there is no requirement to split circuits across any specific rooms, but the installer should consider the overall loading of circuits. It is not uncommon for extensions to be wired onto new circuits back to the fuse box to save disturbing existing circuits.

Doc H.

Re Q3, if the back boxes have one fixed metal lug then an earth fly-lead to the the back box is not essential. But many electricians do fit them anyway as they consider it good practice. Re Q4, there is no requirement to split circuits across any specific rooms, but the installer should consider the overall loading of circuits. It is not uncommon for extensions to be wired onto new circuits back to the fuse box to save disturbing existing circuits.Doc H.
Thanks for your rersponse

I dont know what you mean by a fixed metal lug, and how does it eliminate the need for a tail? ( its probably obvious , but just cant picture it )

Regarding the circuits, I was under the impression that that kitchen sockets had to be separate and the bad thing is it is labelled as kitchen sockets on the c/u but the bedroom in the extension is on same circuit, which i assumed was on circuit marked upstairs sockets.

hope i havnt gone on too much but appreciate any comments / suggestions

Rob

Standard boxes have one FIXED lug, threaded hole for socket/switch mounting screw, and one Adjustable lug to allow for levelling up.

The fixed lug is deemed to provide a good enough earthing function between the socket and the box by means of the mounting screw.

However if BOTH are adjustable as with some Cooker panel mounting boxes then an earthing tail is required

Supplementary bonding is not essential any more under the 17th, so can be left out.

If you check up in detail you can find out the requirements where by supplementary bonding is no longer required.

Supplementary bonding is not essential any more under the 17th, so can be left out.If you check up in detail you can find out the requirements where by supplementary bonding is no longer required.
If the OP has no main bonds, it's likely he has no RCD!

If the OP has no main bonds, it's likely he has no RCD!
All circuits are RCD protected

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 09:47 ---------- Previous post was made at 09:44 ----------

Standard boxes have one FIXED lug, threaded hole for socket/switch mounting screw, and one Adjustable lug to allow for levelling up.The fixed lug is deemed to provide a good enough earthing function between the socket and the box by means of the mounting screw.

However if BOTH are adjustable as with some Cooker panel mounting boxes then an earthing tail is required
I see what you mean now cheers

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 09:51 ---------- Previous post was made at 09:47 ----------

Supplementary bonding is not essential any more under the 17th, so can be left out.If you check up in detail you can find out the requirements where by supplementary bonding is no longer required.
I have checked up in BRB and it does need it thanks for your time

Rob

Cheers Rob,

No need to remove it, but once you start working for real being able to legitimately leave something out can make you more competitive.

IMHO nothing wrong with having it there really, remember the brb is the minimum requirements.

One thing is I try not to give answers per ce as I feel it is better if you can find the answers for yourself, that way I believe you learn more, I prefer to make suggestions and give pointers.

Also the answer I give will be my opinion.

Cheers Rob,No need to remove it, but once you start working for real being able to legitimately leave something out can make you more competitive.

IMHO nothing wrong with having it there really, remember the brb is the minimum requirements.

One thing is I try not to give answers per ce as I feel it is better if you can find the answers for yourself, that way I believe you learn more, I prefer to make suggestions and give pointers.

Also the answer I give will be my opinion.
Thanks for your time again i appreciate it and all the other guys who have taken time to answer