Problems with low energy pendant.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As part of a complete re-wire I recently fitted a low energy pendant with 4 pin 18w CFL lamp at the top of the stairs. To control this light are 2 PIR wall plates (smiths timeguard make) (landlord hates tennants leaving lights on). Got call today to say the lamp keeps blowing - anyone else experienced any problems with this type of set-up ?:| . Especially can't think why the lamp would blow unless experiencing an over-voltage or something to do with clashing electronics.

Binky

i have had tenants complaining of lamps keep blowing before

it has always been a faulty dimmer switch

maybe you have a faulty pir plate

Timeguard 2009 :: Products.

Claims to be suitable for low-energy, but only with phillips and osram (which I suspect is bull, but maybe I should listen for once :( :^O :^O:^O.)

Think I will change it for ordinary pendant, it is timed after all for about 2 mins and people don't walk up and down stairs that often.

Binkyi have had tenants complaining of lamps keep blowing before

it has always been a faulty dimmer switch

maybe you have a faulty pir plate
Maybe, just trying to think how you could prove which one? :| ?:| ? :| . Unit is guaranteed for 3 years, so should be good kit. Suspect its to do with clashing electronics, or possibly insufficient loading - I originally fitted a 13w CFL which caused it to flicker until changed to 18w lamp (there is a minimum loading for the PIRs)

Check that the pir is not leaking voltage to the low energy lamp, test meter as triacs do leak small voltage depending on rating and type.

You will see external fittings with dull glow due to the wrong lamps fitted and switched by pir.Fit a 500 w pir lamp from B&Q takes longer to set than to wire in .

Binky I don't put low energy lamps in pirs they are not on for long enough to warrant it and they tend to bu...r them up anyway as you have found out. How long is the pir set for low energy lamps are desigmed to be on for long periods.

Batty

ah!!!

the big Low energy light bulb con raises its head...

Several manufactures bulbs say in the small print on the back..

Not suitable for use with Dimmers.Not suitable for use with PIR switches.

Not suitable for use in Enclosed light fittings.
No use in a pantry or under stairs cupboards cuz take to long to get bight!

plus the fact that many are too big and ugly to fit in the lamp holder!

It is not uncommon for them to fail within a couple of months even in a bog standard manual type light fitting....

I have lost count of the number of Low energy bulbs I have thrown away after less than 4 months.... (although they quote several years life!!!:( X( )

You can also get the old "starter type" failure, e.g. lamp gives slight glow but won't fully illuminate.... but no starter to pull out and replace:_|

I am not convinced the full life cycle costs of the bulb is actually any true savings. ;)

Also to add..

read the small print on the back of your PIR sensor box...

e.g. "unit capable o switching up to 2000w, NOT recommended for use with energy saving lamps"

other than that they are great!!!!

As I have said before all this low energy ballony is a way of getting us to part with our money standard light bulb cost 20-30 pence low energy anything from

Good point from bassman about leakage from electronic stuff.

I fitted one of those electronic time-delay switches to switch a relay to swich two 500 watt floods . So that first man in a warehouse could get to the main light switches.

The electronic time switch leaked voltage and the coil got red hot, had to change delay switch to the Columbus mechanical push type.

Just off on a slight tangent, not supposed to mix switch start fluorescents on same circuit as High Frequency Fluorescents, pulses from the starter supposed to begger up the HF,s.

Deke

Some Low energy lamps when you look at the packageing states on it they are not suitable for fittings controlled by PIR's.

What is going to happen in a couple of years when they have stopped making incandesent lamps and you can only buy low energy lamps, all them PIR operated fittings thatare by front doors etc will be a waste of space.

No use in a pantry or under stairs cupboards cuz take to long to get bight!

plus the fact that many are too big and ugly to fit in the lamp holder! or when in the toilet