Programmable Thermostat

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrootrhino

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an Ideal combi boiler and the only control is an old fashioned thermostat. This means the boiler runs all night or you get up in the freezing cold.

The stat has 4 wires to terminals 1 - 4

1 = red (I assume live)

2 = yellow

3 = earth

4 = Blue (I assume neutral)

with a meter across 1 and 4 I get 240V

With a meter across 1 and 2 I get 220V when the stat calls in the boiler and 0V when there is no call for the boiler

Is there a programmable stat on the market I can fit without replacing the wiring

Thanks for your help

Combi boiler usually use a programmer with a volt free contact.

Look at the back of the programmer you have, there should be a wiring diagram to properly identify the terminals.

Most programmable thermostats are battery powered so you only need to connect 2 wires. the other 2 (the 240V feed) you ignore.

depending on your model of Ideal,

you can get a clock to fit integral to the boiler,

I used to have an ideal with an integral clock,

and a basic manual stat,

have a look at your boiler, is there a circular shaped knock out on the extreme right when you open the door on it?

BTW,

depending on your stat model, those num bers seem waaaaaay wrong,

most stats work on 1 3 4  with earth as un-numbered,

1 = red (I assume live)

2 = yellow

3 = earth

4 = Blue (I assume neutral)
never assume anything, it needs checkd in more detail before you know for definite, but it looks like it probably is

you could fit  something like this - thermostat with 4 on/off periods per day http://www.screwfix.com/p/horstmann-drt2-programmable-digital-room-thermostat/27468?_requestid=28894

or this - bit more advanced that above http://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-digistat-3-room-thermostat/75750?_requestid=29012

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

The existing thermostat is an EBERLE type 15015 and the boiler is an Ideal logic+ 35. Other than the thermostat there are no other heating controls.

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

The existing thermostat is an EBERLE type 15015 and the boiler is an Ideal logic+ 35. Other than the thermostat there are no other heating controls.
yep,

you can fit a clock to those,

in fact, my next door neighbour has one I replaced her inbuilt clock recently,

that is your easiest solution,

fit an inbuilt clock and a normal external stat,

IIRC she paid <£30 of t'internet for her replacement clock

Hi, Thanks for all your help. Fitted a plug in 5+2 electronic timer from ideal as suggested by Steptoe. In conjunction with the existing thermostat it works fine. Thanks