push in connectors

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi people,

finaly got round to getting some push in connectors, they are not wago they only stock helacon plus, i am sure there is not much difference between them?

so is it as easy as i have heard, just strip and push in.

they dont have the boxes so i got choc box, is this ok for maintance free as it has a cable grip?

its for a loft light, going to take a feed from the upstairs circuit, straight to a switch and crimp or maybe even push fit the neutral, is it a good idea to crimp the earth?

normally i stick to jb or loop in but this seams a lot less hassle

thanks for the help

Push fit connectors are maintenance free and a good tool to use for complying with the regulations.

All connections must be made maintenance free even the earth, so I would crimp or use a pushfit. All cables must be restrained by clips or grip to comply.

I use push fit connectors all the time now for maintenance free connections with no or limited access, I use single or double pattress boxes with blank plates fitted, very handy for labeling what connections are in the box.

They are more expensive but the installation time is greatly reduced.

The type you have are very similar to the wago design, I bought some recently after using wago,s mainly, the only difference I have seen is the lack of the lever clamp 30amp type.

i got some of those too. seem good but yet to use themcan i use them in a light switch for earth/netral insted of connectors?
I think they are the best connections to use for this type of application.

Providing the earth is suitable for such connection and connected to any metal face plate.

thanks for that mr hornet, where you say clips are you flat clipping near the pattress and thats it for griping the cable?

Paul you can for neutrals do that, but I would terminate cpcs into the backbox if metal.AndyGuinness
so all plastic its ok to crimp the earth as well in the switch?

thanks for that mr hornet, whae you say clips are you flat clipping near the pattress and thats it for griping the cable?
Yes thats what I do, its to stop the cables from being pulled, and to stop any movement that would compromise the connection.

Paul you can for neutrals do that, but I would terminate cpcs into the backbox if metal.AndyGuinness
what i tend to do is leave 1 cable longer so that i can double the earth back in to the back box first (put sleeving on, bend with my nifty ck3 thingies, screw to back box, more sleeving and connect with other cpc'c on a connector)

i find this saves me faffing about in the box

Yes if its a plasterboard box or such.AndyGuinness
This is a very good point that zeespark has made.

If its all plastic then there is no problem.

However if its a metal back box and you have crimped the earth or used push fit connections there will be no earthing to the back box.

If a fault occurs the back box will become live, as will the screws on the face plate.

So thanks zee for making that point.

thanks guys, i even got round to getting some 2mm earth sleaving while i was there, i have been using 6mm for ages.

I only use 6mm sleeving for 10/16mm t & e, too big for smaller cables and looks like carp when installed on the smaller cables.AndyGuinness
yes and it falls off easly, i wont be running out of the small stuff again

My main stock is 3mm sleeving, a bit slack on the 1mm lighting but fits all earths up to at a push 10mm twin and earth stranded earth cable, you have to be carefull not to bend or twist it though :)

My main stock is 3mm sleeving, a bit slack on the 1mm lighting but fits all earths up to at a push 10mm twin and earth stranded earth cable, you have to be carefull not to bend or twist it though :)
tight fit, i removed a shower pull cord and the earth had been split and sleaved, he should have used your trick:)

luck had it i had pleanty of 6mm

Wheres the best place to buy earth sleeving as ive had some before which was too stiff and have seen plenty of nice stuff used but not known where to get it from. Does everyone use different sizes of earth sleeving and not just one common size?

Cheers

Wheres the best place to buy earth sleeving as ive had some before which was too stiff and have seen plenty of nice stuff used but not known where to get it from. Does everyone use different sizes of earth sleeving and not just one common size?Cheers
i get my earth sleeving from either screwfix or wilts and mainly use 3mm earth sleeve and also 4mm brown and blue sleeving aswell again bought that from wilts years ago and still havent used it all :D

I bought 100 metres of 3mm sleaving this time last year. It was all nicely coiled up but now its just a big ball with lots of different ends!! Will probably last me for 100 years though!!