Qualification recognition

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Equipment

Reaction score
G'day All,

Well my visa came through yesterday and we'll be boarding the HMAS Endeavour and heading to England in a couple of months time which we're really looking forward to.

The only thing that concerns me (aside from the climate I'm heading to ;) ) is the minefield that appears to be the English electrical quals system and the changes going on there so just a few questions that hopefully will receive a few helpful answers.

1. Has anyone had any experience with UK NARIC? I was referred to this agency by C&G and for a fee they will assess my Aussie quals and issue a Comparability statement which I'm hoping will not necessitate the need for further training.

2. Is it vital that I am graded by JIB? And is this necessary to be able to work as an electrical contractor, technician, etc.?

3. Leading on from that what are some of the basics I'll require? The 17th ed is in the post and will make for some light reading so I'm guessing I'll need a bit of paper that says I read it but is there anything else important I'll require?

Thanks in advance, I'll continue wading through this forum and t'internet for info in the meantime

Cheers

in my brief foray into emigration checking for NZ you have pretty similar quals , you will prob need some "body" to check them and give you a relevance certificate, - as stated by C&G.

JIB is IMHO a load of tosh, its all to do with getting a CSCS card, H&S and a statement of your status, I dont have it, do you have IOSH or equivalent?

some of my learned and clearly more intelligent companions will be along shortly to give you sort actually proper information I am sure. :D

and welcome, can you bring some LION RED and with you please? (do you get that in OZ.?)

Hey steptoe, pretty sure any OH&S quals I have would probably need updating but I'll look into it, definitely not sure if they're internationally recognised. As for the Lion Red I know the big alcohol supermarkets would have it but I'd have to say that NZ is producing some much better tasting brews these days, Tuatara, Mac's, & Monteith's to name a few , hunt around you might find some in the UK surely! Guinness

PC Electrics; we'll be settling in Oxfordshire so Manchester might be a bit far to go for training, thanks for the links.

if you need to do H&S you can always do an ECS one, its a 45min (I think) multi choice paper that you can do in about 10mins if you are a slow reader, :slap

it is sooooooo easy.

must have a look for some of those brews, Oz beer is pretty common, but kiwi stuff not so easily found. :(

if you do decide to visit Manchester drop in and we'll have some of the proverbial wet stuff and fire water. :D

che che noi.

if you need to do H&S you can always do an ECS one, its a 45min (I think) multi choice paper that you can do in about 10mins if you are a slow reader, :slap it is sooooooo easy.

must have a look for some of those brews, Oz beer is pretty common, but kiwi stuff not so easily found. :(

if you do decide to visit Manchester drop in and we'll have some of the proverbial wet stuff and fire water. :D

che che noi.
Cheers steptoe, there's as good a reason as any to take a trip to Manchester! Guinness

Dr, I have lost the link now, but someone else had a similar question to you and had a link to a website,

it deffo looks like you will need a cert check or whatever it is, a H&S exam(as I said the ECS one is soooo easy), and you may well have to do a C&G 2382 (17th edition) exam,

the 2382 is an open book exam, you are allowed the regs book with you, so if you can read, use the contents page, and know how to reference the index it is a pretty easy exam too, its more a reading/referencing test than an exam.

good luck, and welcome anytime, though the weather may well be a less good than what you normally get.