qualifications needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronan

Reaction score
Hi I've recently being doing quite a bit of work for myself, I am a fully qualified electrician and was wondering what qualification I need to be able to pass jobs off for building control and give testing certs.

It would save me getting another guy in to do it.

If anyone has any idea on this I would really appreciate it, thanks

you need to apply for a competent persons scheme i.e Napit or Niceic etc, you say you are fully qualified so joining one should not be a problem.

Thanks, Does this cost much? And would I need to be doing a certain amount of private work? I also am sub contract from another firm so won't always be doing my own work.

Hang on guys,,,, Ronans details show him as living in Belfast,, no Part P there:O

So apart from any NI regulations, if you are installing and testing your own work then you should be producing certs for it yourself anyway

No I'm still on 16th, I'm booked in to do my 2391 so I,d prob be best waiting to get that done first. Thanks again for your help.

Nozspark, does that mean I should be able to pass work as I am now? I can't seem to find out for defin! Any spark around here tell different opinions, most Of them are just after a few quick quid!

Do you need to notify jobs to your building control (council) in NI?

If not then you should be doing your own testing and certifying now! Just make sure that you have the right level of insurance for the work that you do!

Yeah one of the jobs I'm doing, building control will have to pass! I have public liability up to 2,000,000

There is emergency lighting also in this building if that needs a different cert?

Ronan, you dont need to be a member of any scam in NI unless the customer specifies it, usually NIHE will state NICEIC, private work it doesnt matter,

BC may ask for proof of competence, and relevant up to date regs, meaning as a minimum 2382, and perhaps 2391.

em lighting is a totally different matter, you need different numbers for that,

as for public liability, you also require professional indemnity insurance too, .

I still do some bits and bobs of work in NI, its not usually an issue, email BC your C&Gs and they are grand.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:42 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:41 ----------

ps, yep, NICEIC is less than

Nozspark, does that mean I should be able to pass work as I am now? I can't seem to find out for defin! Any spark around here tell different opinions, most Of them are just after a few quick quid!
As I think others have mentioned, probably best to contact the relevant building control and ask them what they want.

Doc H.

Sorry Ronan - don`t take offence at this:

In post one, you`re "fully qualified".

Then you`ve only got 16th - the rest of us have been on 17th for more than four years!!!! So you`re NOT "fully qualified" really, are you?

To me, "FULLY qualified" would be every qualification you could possibly have.

On top of which, you`ve apparently done some em. lighting, but aren`t aware of the standard this needs to comply with; OR the certification requirements!!!!!

So could you tell us what qualifications you DO have? We might have a better idea how to help then :)

KME

Latest posts