Question about structural integrity after doing an EIC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still alive, my pc is not though it died a death afew weeks ago and I have not got around to repairing it yet.

Yes I am cynical, because i feel part P is just a name, many people suscribe to the idea but what has it actually done to safegaurd the public or protect those who have become a part of it?

I say bring back the old JIB scheme, you do what your card says you can do and nothing more, and why pay money each year to a scheme that does nothing to enforce those who are not?

This year I have only done two domestic installs, the rest have been commercial, why the hell should I bother with the domestic market when electricians are willing to do full rewires for the price of a loaf of bread and a block of cheese? Are they in full time employment and stealing materials? or just downright desperate for work?

I am cynical because I am sick of being classed as aworking protitute, which is what I now feel most domestic installers have become.

Sorry if I offend anyone, its not intentional but, why do you go through all that, take all the exams, and then sell yourselves short?

to go back to the op

I see plumbers do this on nearly every job I go on, because they dont give a toss, no one else does, as electricians we are so paranoid about regulations and rules we entrap ourselves to be conformists, however, if you apply the same rules as do joiners, plasterers, and plumbers who would know but us? just bang the wires in, and fooook all rules until some top brass decide to enforce the regulations, I am sick of being beaten on quotes by the odd job man down the road, so I have decided to join him.

No more cable calcs, no more diversity, no more part P no more worries, save myself over a thousand pounds a year, and compete on level terms.

|This is not what I want to happen>

Part P is important, but is handled by incompetant people, local authorities are ill equiped to handle it, given no money to enforce it and are reluctant to get involved in dispute. |The scheme providers are reluctant to get involved in complaints in an aggressive manner, just wanting to use the correct procedure of complaint which allows the electrician involved to complete a task to satisfy the complaint, and lets not speak of it any more.

As some members know, if asked I will offer good sound advise, but one of my main faults is the fact that most of you will not debate the true issues, and I am very eager to debate.

I do love to throw the spanner, because I like the true reply.

If you think electrical science has changed since 1911, I would love to know why and how, and why have we had so many additions if this science has stayed the same all these years. Lets just down tools and tell those who make us all pay every year, explain why a update requires further training when we are fully qualified and just as capable as those who take and make the decision for change?

also forgave my indulgance in causeing such a debate

Yes its good to see you Greeny but cheer up it will soon be christmas and we get a few days off.
Why does everyone think Christmas is synonymous with being cheery? Bah humbug, I say BAH HUMBUG.

I agree with all GH says and think things have got worse since part p. Trouble is the older electricians have got out of it because they don't want the paperwork and you now have five day wonders doing the work but not correctly. They are assessed once a year and probably show one of there better jobs. As some of you may know I did not do a proper apprenticeships because when I wanted to do one it was not available so had to get my qualifications evening classes. I did train to be a sparks so had three years of practical experience with no college. I have also worked with other electricians over the years so have got experience from them as well. But until the government put serious money into training trades the country will get worse and worse.

I agree with all GH says and think things have got worse since part p. Trouble is the older electricians have got out of it because they don't want the paperwork and you now have five day wonders doing the work but not correctly. They are assessed once a year and probably show one of there better jobs. As some of you may know I did not do a proper apprenticeships because when I wanted to do one it was not available so had to get my qualifications evening classes. I did train to be a sparks so had three years of practical experience with no college. I have also worked with other electricians over the years so have got experience from them as well. But until the government put serious money into training trades the country will get worse and worse.
batty I am an old man, stuck in my ways, however I would never ever call or default any one like yourself who have taken which ever way to becomming an electrician. My complaint is always going to be with those in authority who refuse to recognise your value and refuse to act against those who do not share your comitmant.

To be honest we may as well shine shoes on the underground, the pay is almost as much, and we need not show a certificate for a shiney pair of shoes!!

well I'm one of those non time served electricians if i'm being branded like that. I started my studies last october and paid a LOT of money for them. I studied hard everyday monday to friday from october to march and then got in with my brother in law to get the practical experience and expertese i needed. Now I class myself as "switched on" and can adapt very well and learn very quickly. In 1 year i've passed my 2330 level 2 & 3, my 17th edition, my Part P and i'm confident I could get through my 2391! Everything I do onsite is to the regs without question and everything I know is very fresh in my mind. I don't know everything but I'm just on finishing my NVQ3 site diary which when complete will make me a fully qualified electrician in the eyes of the JIB.

You cooking the turkey/goose then? :D
Only Turkey or goose. No No No No

For the Ultimate Xmass Dinner gastro experience

Goose, Turkey, Chicken and Pork Combo.

For this you are going to need a really sharp small knife to De-bone the Goose, Chicken and turkey.

You do this from the inside of the birds by feel taking care not to come through the outside and taking extra care around the breast bone and at the top of the beast bone as very little meat mostly skin this can be eased of using your finger on the inside of the bird to separate it from the bone. To remove leg bones this is also done from inside the bird usually once started with the knife its not then too difficult to peel it away from the bone using your fingers (not kidding, it helps if you have strong nails as these can be used as precision knives).at this stage you are pulling the leg bones through the inside of the bird and the leg meat will end up inside out, just push it back when you have de-boned it.

When you have de-boned all the birds put a suitable sized pork joint (De-skinned but leave the fat on it) inside the de-boned Chicken, put the chicken into the de-boned Turkey and that into the de-boned Goose.

Next stage: one curved darning needle and butchers string, sew up the neck and ass end of the goose and some string around body helps keep it in shape.

Cooking is different to cooking a normal bird as this is solid meat and a meat thermometer is essential. Cook low and longer, time will depend on overall weight of meat combo.

Cook it in a large tin as there will be loads of fat from the goose, even then you might find you may need to drain some of the fat off during cooking, using some of the fat for your roast tatty,s and snips the taste is divine, I know you can get goose fat from shops but its not the same as homemade goose fat for one there is no jelly in it. Talking about the jelly mmmm you will have enough goose fat and jelly to last you for weeks and its lush in a sarnie with a bit o salt. also use some of the goose juice to make the best gravy you will ever taste.

Enjoy

talkin bout all this foods made me hungry lol

ps. oh forgot to say when cutting to serve, cut it in half, then slice down from the cut half's, that way each slice has all the different meats.

pps. sorry if this post seems to have gone off target but suppose you could class it as structural integrity of a Xmass Dinner. LOL

All around Michelle's place for Christmas Dinner then. :)

Like I said, I respect any way people get into the trade, its those in power who take our money and ignore us that I have serious issues with.

I was called in to help a mate out who had to get a job finished, the electrics had been installed by a diy'er, full refurb of a dental surgery with probably 13 variations from regulations.

However because it is never enforced they get away with doing carp work and the clients are left thinking because it looks good its right!

as said in my PM mate, home owners have gone back to the "electrician" to have him rectify the floor and there gonna get the LABC to come inspect it then we'll issue the EIC once we've spoke to the LABC about it and the floor has been sorted and rectified.

Latest posts