Question for NICEIC members

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you were an NICEIC member when the Part P scam came into being, were you automatically registered for domestic work or were you suddenly deemed to be as incapable as the rest of us , and your previous NICEIC Approved status was rendered void.

For the part p (part) there was no grandfather rights, you had to apply and take the assessment.

The assesors had to go through an intensive course to be sure that they fully understood the regulations regarding building control.

Even now there are two parts to enrolement(not including the garden clause)

Approved status and part p domestic installer status.

(the garden clause is where a gardener can apply for limited scope and quote for rewires)

For the part p (part) there was no grandfather rights, you had to apply and take the assessment.The assesors had to go through an intensive course to be sure that they fully understood the regulations regarding building control.

Even now there are two parts to enrolement(not including the garden clause)

Approved status and part p domestic installer status.

(the garden clause is where a gardener can apply for limited scope and quote for rewires)
The garden clause ?? Can you elaborate ?

Yea its a jibe at the one part of part p that I do not approve of, the limited scope.

I have heard of a case where a kitchen fitter had limited scope to carry out alterations etc to a kitchen doing a cu change and thinking he was an electrician now.

My argument has been that a garden maintenance man could in that case argue he has to be able to repair the electrical supply to outside sheds and lighting, hence my made up garden clause.

British Standards only do full scope and not these other things but I suppose its better someone overseas what these kitchen fitter etc are doing.

Batty

British Standards only do full scope and not these other things but I suppose its better someone overseas what these kitchen fitter etc are doing.Batty
but most kitchen fitters just ignore it and bodge the work anyway

Yea its a jibe at the one part of part p that I do not approve of, the limited scope.I have heard of a case where a kitchen fitter had limited scope to carry out alterations etc to a kitchen doing a cu change and thinking he was an electrician now.

My argument has been that a garden maintenance man could in that case argue he has to be able to repair the electrical supply to outside sheds and lighting, hence my made up garden clause.
I'm with you now and also agree . There should not be a limited scope category.

I agree with you all. I am a full scope domestic installer , been in trade for 35yrs, and was well ****ed off when part p stated i couldnt do domestic work anymore unless i was registered with nic or the like,(1 day im ok to work, the next im not!!!!!!!!) Grrrrrr. Part p has done nothing to get rid of the cowboys, we still see joiners,plumbers,gardeners, bill from next door doing shoddy work, it just makes our lives harder. I wouldnt disagree with part p or anything similar (if it worked).

Dave

Don't think Badger will be too pleased at your inference with that clip:O

In effect, part p made some things better (SOME form of regulation). However; the 5 day wonder courses ( guaranteed pass; naturally), and some people who`ve done 5 days with NO previous experience, and are now puting for jobs alongside me ( or, they would be if my customers didn`t laugh at `em)!!!!

Just PIR`d a commercial property - addition to system & new split board installed by a prattock.

The owner is taking him to court; and I just provided a letter & PIR, detailing the list of faults.

Moral - The part P course is designed to allow other trades to alter, test & certify their electrical works. NOT to decide "I`m a sparky now"!

Rant over - I`ll get somebody`s coat ( I didn`t bring mine, and its raining datsun cogs outside!)

KME

In effect, part p made some things better (SOME form of regulation). However; the 5 day wonder courses ( guaranteed pass; naturally), and some people who`ve done 5 days with NO previous experience, and are now puting for jobs alongside me ( or, they would be if my customers didn`t laugh at `em)!!!!Just PIR`d a commercial property - addition to system & new split board installed by a prattock.

The owner is taking him to court; and I just provided a letter & PIR, detailing the list of faults.

Moral - The part P course is designed to allow other trades to alter, test & certify their electrical works. NOT to decide "I`m a sparky now"!

Rant over - I`ll get somebody`s coat ( I didn`t bring mine, and its raining datsun cogs outside!)

KME
Here I will hand it to you :coat :coat:coat

I also love love bodger and badger and always watch it at the customers house if its on tv when the kids where ever im working in a domestic property has it on

:coat

:^O :^O :coat

I also love love bodger and badger and always watch it at the customers house if its on tv when the kids where ever im working in a domestic property has it on :coat

:^O :^O :coat
don't tell me that's where 'Badger' comes from?

Latest posts