Question on a TN-S

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robojin

Reaction score
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu178/robojin/Untitled-1.jpg

Came across this TN-S today, on the left appears to be a fuse which it is (cartridge type), but defo does not cut the power (not that I pulled it of course O) ), so I assume the block in the middle is the fuse, but would appear to be double fused on both Line & Neutral if the casing shape is any indicator, and even if I had contemplated pulling it, it's firmly in place no hint of any movement, although it does appear to have grips on the outer sides like the smaller one to the left

Also the smaller one has what appears to be a pair of 10mm tails holes top and bottom, reminded me of a type of Henly with a fuse ?:|

GH, AndyC thoughts on either questions?

It is the henley type fuse cut out.

The main cut out is the larger shaped unit.

I have not seen it in this configoration before, looks a little like a 100amp three phase alteration without additional phases?

Sorry but I am as confused as you are, we need a DNO expert

service heads with extra fuse like that is often communal lighting or similar. anything that used to be there?
That makes sense, these are Gorgian Terrace properties, was configured as a maisonette/flats up until the early 70's, the middle block/fuse an't moving any time soon (and I'm not going to try on this one) bit of a ****** as this is a full rewire

That would make some sense out of what I can see.

I have not come accross this type before but I would have to agree with andy as the most probable.

used to see it often in council flats. sometimes for corridor lighting, sometimes for external bulkheads under the flats in addition to the normal street lighting

used to see it often in council flats. sometimes for corridor lighting, sometimes for external bulkheads under the flats in addition to the normal street lighting
These were council until the mid 60's they said

If the middle block is the main fuse(s) it doesn't seem easily serviceable as I can't see an easy way of pulling it, so will have to find another way to safely isolate, looks as if my 1000v gloves will be handy on this job

On another point at some point in the past the Gas and Water main have been bonded on a continuous run (I guess cause they are next to each other) should I leave or run a separate bond for each?

I don't know as I should venture an opinion on this one as only Andy and The Hornet have been specified, making the rest of us feel as welcome as a phart in a spacesuit!! :_|

However , not wishing to be churlish because I don't know what it means, I have come across those double fronted cut-outs , the live had a fuse wire across it and the neutral had a solid link. I think they are a 60 amp DP cut-out. The one to the left dosn't look to be connected.

Your right of course, I did some checking up today just to make sure.

I took some photos today of something totally bizzare I cant find my dongle to upload the photos but will have a search and find it.

Its a service cut out with 4 fuse holders only two used, all four have a wire to them from the main incommer. When I saw it I just did not want to touch it

Thanks for the input

Deke

the leftmost has a cartridge fuse in it, the body has 2x double screw connection points top an bottom, these appear to be connected to the main part top and bottom, which looks as if you could get 10mm into, I'm pretty sure it was 0v across the poles on my tester, however it looks like a Line only configuration (why?), and puzzled me at first when the power stayed on

I gave the main body a little tug with no joy, I'm reluctant to pull with both hand s feet braced against the wall if you know what I mean, is there some hidden trick to these?

I saw one of these today as well ... same set up but with clear gold text on the side '60/80AMP Fuse Carrier' ... didn't have cause to take it out, don't think I'd be in any hurry to either ..

Robojin, the left one appears to do nothing, I can't see a connection at all. The double fronted one is your cut-out DP , has someone removed all the seals ? You are right to be careful when trying to pull it, there is a trick sometimes and you can end up breaking it. However I don't think there is with that one, may be just tight.

Deke

Sometimes there is an hidden screw behind the main fuse, the main body (cut out) goes on to form part of the backing for the fuse to the left.

What size gloves do you Guys have? 350mm?

And may I ask how much they were please?

What else have you got when pulling checking the fuse? :D