Eicr Questions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
Hello Lads & Ladies!

I have done 5 EICR before today and everyone has been up to scratch bar low(ish) IR results (124M being the lowest) so all was going well....untill today, have a few questions to clear up..

TN-C-S 100A main fuse 25mm tails, there are 2 cu's (second is supply for night storage heaters)

1) Main cu has a 80A bs4293 as a the main switch (c2?)

2) second cu has no RCD (c2?)

3) bs3871 type c used for night store's (not a departue but reccomend changing?)

4) low IR (6M)...at what point do you let it go? I know regs say 1M but thats just silly (not a departure but recommend investigating?)

5) no fire hoods on downlights (c3)

6) downlight to close to timbers (c3)

What you code the above as?

also went to see another house and drew out the rooms etc.. so i can crack straight on come tuesday.

on this one i noticed the tails were 10mm, no idea what the main fuse was, it was seald. cannot fine the stopcock haha so no idea if its bonded.

now....gas was bonded (10mm) via a henly type block next to the meter outside in an alleyway. from the henly the earth conductor (10mm) came in with the tails. is this ok as i thought all bondings had to go the MET

what are your thought?

thanks

Paul

What is wrong with the main switch?

Does cu2 need an RCD?

Do the downlights need fire hoods?

The IR meets regs so why bother? Paul, its easy to go overboard.

1) Main cu has a 80A bs4293 as a the main switch (c2?)whats max demand? if less than 80, then no problem

2) second cu has no RCD (c2?)circuits may not need an RCD

3) bs3871 type c used for night store's (not a departue but reccomend changing?)providing Zs complies, then nothing to code. and if there is nothing wrong, then why recommend changing

4) low IR (6M)...at what point do you let it go? I know regs say 1M but thats just silly (not a departure but recommend investigating?)if its above 7671 min values, then nothing. although further investigation may be worthy depending on reading

5) no fire hoods on downlights (c3)fire hoods may not be needed

6) downlight to close to timbers (c3)depends how close, but possibly C2

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys!

2) would have thought cables were less than 50mm in the wall

3) its mentiond in the saftey council best practice guide :/

5) in kitchen with bath above so ok, but in the bath with roofspace above

6) about 60mm

thanks again!

hi noz,

would say its about 15 years old, this is where i get a little confused, btw these are landlord certs (if that makes any differance?)

if a house was wired to 16th ie..lights none rcd would it not be a C2 if the cables are less than 50mm in the walls? my thoughts are if you go back farenough then you could say an outside socket is ok with no rcd as it was put in 30years ago (solong as it test out ok).

thanks for the info

im amazed, totally amazed nobody uttered the word "incompetent" somebody usually does :innocent

im amazed, totally amazed nobody uttered the word "incompetent" somebody usually does :innocent
there is a difference between telling someone who has a fairly good idea of what they are doing a few things, and telling someone how to rewire their house with no previous knowledge / experience

haha nicky, whilst i freely admit i'm in no way an experienced spark with years behind me, i'm not tottaly incompetent! it may seem i'm asking silly questions but i do so to make sure every job i do is dont correctly and i donot rip off the customer...ie giving a C2 and saying that work needs to be done if its a C3 in reality.

Every job i do i learn from and make sure i do a thurough job and have not had one complaint about my work (so far!)

there is a difference between telling someone who has a fairly good idea of what they are doing a few things, and telling someone how to rewire their house with no previous knowledge / experience
not stopped you in the past :slap