EICR codes - Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the fuse carriers are removed are there additional plastic inserts covering live parts very old units never had this provision but "newer" versions did although they can be missing but this was the nature of the dist board. The damaged fuse carriers in my opinion are a Code 2.
If the connection of the earthing conductor is poor then this should attract a Code 2 although very often with TT the conductor is very just often earthing the electrode with the fault path following routes of less impedance.
Judging semi-enclosed fuse element sizes can be difficult if they are clearly not the originals and experience plays a part here. I carry multiple sizes for comparison and if in doubt I just replace them. Do not forget to add the correction factor of 0.725 when assessing current carrying capacity of conductors protected by these fuses.
Asbestos flash guards I tend to Code 3 although strictly speaking they are a health issue as opposed to an electrical problem.
I'll be honest I'm not sure where myself or the client stood inspecting fuses that contained asbestos flashguards behind? (I have to return anyhow so can check)

Do you agree that a code 2 would still be present for the user exposed to live conductors upon replacing fuse wires? (Forget damage to the fuses for a minute). However a tool is required to open the cover. Technically no different to removing a faceplate.

Yes I agree, hence the comment about the structural steelwork.

Yes due to the fuses not so certain in operation.

If it is just exposed when the fuse carrier is removed I wouldn't Code 2 it. Difficult to see from your picture but are there exposed busbars below the fuse carrier rails because shields look like they are missing in picture 4. There are four screws left and right between the three rails and two below the neutral bar, these are to fit the shields. Those shields normally indicate a bare busbar and if this is the case I would normally Code 2 this.

Carrying out an EICR on a farm and just after some advice regarding my codes.

This is only the supply to the barns. House has a separate supply.
TT arrangement with an electrode, although tbh the steelwork will be acting as the earth.
100mA upfront and 30mA protecting relevant circuits.
All Zs readings are within for the RCDs and very good for a TT.
This was inspected 3 years ago.

Photos 1-3
C3 - Switchgear and trunking system has signs of corrosion from the external influences.
C3 - Poor workmanship has been carried out to the Earthing / bonding connection. (Ze reading 22 Ohms)
C3 - 6mm conductors looped from adjacent MCB are protected by 63A MCB, however unlikely to be overloaded due to C20 MCB.

I have some queries regarding Photos 4-5

D.B. has asbestos flash guards - C3?
C2 - Users are presented with live parts upon fuses tripping.
C2 - Single OCPD does not isolate all 3 phases.

How do I verify the sizes of the fuse wires? Breaking capacity etc?

Any help would be appreciated…….although I’m sure there’ll be plenty of criticism too! ✌🏻
I agree Ze is fine

TT arrangement with an electrode, although tbh the steelwork will be acting as the earth.

Photos 1-3
C3 - Switchgear and trunking system has signs of corrosion from the external influences.
C3 - Poor workmanship has been carried out to the Earthing / bonding connection. (Ze reading 22 Ohms)
C3 - 6mm conductors looped from adjacent MCB are protected by 63A MCB, however unlikely to be overloaded due to C20 MCB.

Any help would be appreciated…….although I’m sure there’ll be plenty of criticism too! ✌🏻
Ze to rod is fine to measure while all bonding disconnected.
C3 Users are presented with live parts upon fuses tripping. (Should be competent to open an old fuseboard and competent to replace fuses).Yes I have seen busbar shields and some not.
C3 - 6mm conductors looped from adjacent MCB (agree)
D.B. has asbestos flash guards - C3? (agree)
C3 - Poor workmanship has been carried out to the Earthing (agree but usual in farms)
How do I verify the sizes of the fuse wires? Breaking capacity etc? (you can buy some and compare sizes for future reference) Take photos with a tool or measuring tape nearby !!(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_wire_gauge)

It is fun to learn new stuff even if it is old stuff.

Photos 1-3

Give the guy a break he is looking for guidance not abuse. The EICR is a document written as a report on what the inspector observes at the time, it is what his opinion is of the installation. It is easy to look at photos and criticise ,the user is only exposed to live parts if they actually open any of the enclosures and withdraw fuses. The corrosion needs to be addressed c3 , Bonding redone c3, asbestos flashguard only dangerous if disturbed You do not need to quote regulations numbers in a report so he is doing his best with what experience he has

'542.2.2(iv) Underground structural metalwork embedded in foundations or other metalwork installed in the foundations

was also in 17th. may have also been in 16th but ive not looked that far back
I always took that to be by design , not just a matter of drilling a hole in an RSJ and bolting an earth to it.