question?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavindrummond

Reaction score
I popped up to see how my brothers extension was going and I noticed that the electrician has installed 4 old sockets that are protected by a switched fused spur with a neon indicator. Which my brother is powering his chest freezer on one of the sockets. he told me that when you flick the switch off it isolates the power to all of the 4 sockets.

So my question is: was it designed incorrectly and and in no consideration to the clients needs before hand?

My reasoning is if installing old sockets faces the integrity has now been compromised and could cause tripping also if this happens all the sockets go which is also not good and the fridge freezer now melts all the food.

Should he have installed the sockets on a it's own ring and also kept 1 socket off an RCD and labelled it up at both the cu and the socket do not switch off for purposes of the freezer not failing.

I'm only a student my self so I don't know.

Many thanks. :)

The none rcd socket can be tricky as the cable would need to be buried more than 50mm in the wall. Some times this is impossible. If its one brick for instance.

Nothing wrong with using old sockets if they are ok and meet current standard.

If its a small extension then its ok to run it off an fcu. But you should confirm with the client that they will be using no more than a lamp and radio. If they use to much the fuse will keep blowing.

Nothing wrong re BS7671 from your description. The problem here is the electrician may be working & taking orders from the builder, not the home owner. The sparky may have pointed out to the builder the problems & he probably told him to take the cheapest option. I would always try to find out the clients requirments.

I wonder if it was possible to extend the ring from the spur.

I have seen many conservatories wired this way, and the reason I have been called is overload.

Not an ideal solution IMHO, however as stated above if the Electrician is working to a set fee.

Some conservatory companies allow like

Loads of conservatories are like that, the only time I have ever seen them overloaded is then there two 3kW heaters in there.

Have to admit I've done a few conservators like that, and just one not long ago. When the budget is low that's what they get. But if I'm honest they haven't been that big, and never had a call saying its been a problem