radial spurs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats what i was trying to say but you worded it better.so a fitting with reversed polarity could go missed (kme ;) )
NOT if its accessible!??? :eek:

I assumed you read table 3.3 pg 78:|

Polarity: checked at:-

origin / dist boards / Accessible sockets / extremities of radials..

and by you own explanation.. if you don't know how the circuit is laid out..

You need to check it all to find the furthest points? ;)

NO, mate, it couldn`t.If we`re talking a PIR, how would YOU know which point ( bearing in mind the length of cable to/from the switch(es) is included) was the furthest, on any given circuit?

How would you know if a ring was bridged, unless you had taken readings from all points; or indeed, if ring had multiple spurs.

Tell me then, please.:

How do YOU test a PIR, and find the furthest point (r1r2) of a circuit????

n.b. If YOU missed a fitting with reverse polarity, :

1. How can you tick the box which says "All single pole switches are in the phase conductor"?????

2. What will your defence be if, as and when someone changes a bulb, with the switch off, and ends up dead on the floor????

I anticipate your reply!
1. refers to switches only

2. a pendant gives no protection wether polarity is correct or not

1. refers to switches only2. a pendant gives no protection wether polarity is correct or not
PLEASE tell me this is a wind-up.

Where`s "beadle" and the camera.????????

Am I gonna be on telly?????

Go away, read 7671, GN3, OSG, IT&C book,

THEN come back with the regs to back up the bull poo.

(please or offend) - I`m not getting involved in any further posts by you, until or unless you provide some common sense. X(

hey m8 you need to remember that because you do alot of testing or design

many sparks are blinkered by having worked for huge companies doing nothing but tube all day every day for years and it happens!

i would probably get frustrated with a spark who's tested for years and has never made off and can't make off a pyro or complete a complex multi level tray and trunk intersection. they would still be a spark and not be laughed at.

i came here to get back what i used to know and i get this!

i even picked the username

BlushingBlushingBlushingBlushingBlushing

seriously tho i believe that where you put checking that single pole devices are in the phase only is only checking that the switch is switching live and not neutral. and 2nd that you put reversed polarity at a pendant would be irrelevant 1. because you stated the switch was off when the bulb was changed so there would be no voltage at the pendant wether polarity was right or wrong and even if the switch was on correct polarity offers no safety at a pendant as both pins are accessable

Then try NOT posting statements like "2.5 only carries 18A"

Other people on this forum are in the same position you describe; but do NOT dismiss what is said when they ask a question.

IF you`ve forgotten these things, fair enough. Then accept the answers supplied when you ask, instead of arguing everything. It isn`t the way to get the best out od us.

Then try NOT posting statements like "2.5 only carries 18A"Other people on this forum are in the same position you describe; but do NOT dismiss what is said when they ask a question.

IF you`ve forgotten these things, fair enough. Then accept the answers supplied when you ask, instead of arguing everything. It isn`t the way to get the best out od us.
wasn't trying to mislead or state fact it was my belief yes reference methods and types of cable will change that alot

hey m8 you need to remember that because you do alot of testing or designmany sparks are blinkered by having worked for huge companies doing nothing but tube all day every day for years and it happens!

i would probably get frustrated with a spark who's tested for years and has never made off and can't make off a pyro or complete a complex multi level tray and trunk intersection. they would still be a spark and not be laughed at.

i came here to get back what i used to know and i get this!

i even picked the username

BlushingBlushingBlushingBlushingBlushing

seriously tho i believe that where you put checking that single pole devices are in the phase only is only checking that the switch is switching live and not neutral. and 2nd that you put reversed polarity at a pendant would be irrelevant 1. because you stated the switch was off when the bulb was changed so there would be no voltage at the pendant wether polarity was right or wrong and even if the switch was on correct polarity offers no safety at a pendant as both pins are accessable
OOPS - incorrect info again.

IF the switch polarity is incorrect, it MUST be switching the neutral. Therefore, there is still a phase voltage at the pendant ( the whole point of checking polarity!!!!)

If you don`t understand this, I`ll try to explain further?

OOPS - incorrect info again.IF the switch polarity is incorrect, it MUST be switching the neutral. Therefore, there is still a phase voltage at the pendant ( the whole point of checking polarity!!!!)

If you don`t understand this, I`ll try to explain further?
if the polarity at the pendant is incorrect i mean

1. because you stated the switch was off when the bulb was changed so there would be no voltage at the pendant wether polarity was right or wrong
Reverse polarity, i.e. 'N' switched.. leave perm live at fitting..

if metal fitting..

risk of shock when change bulbs!

and even if the switch was on correct polarity offers no safety at a pendant as both pins are accessable
not all lights are "pendants"

are you not aware that ES fittings should be wired live to the centre pin?

to offer greater protection from accidental shock???

IKEA like ES pendants...

but then...

not many people buy IKEA like fittings?

OR do they???

Reverse polarity, i.e. 'N' switched.. leave perm live at fitting..if metal fitting..

IKEA like ES pendants...

but then...

OR do they???[/quote]

Mrs. KME likes ikea-like fittings :( :( :(

Reverse polarity, i.e. 'N' switched.. leave perm live at fitting..if metal fitting..

IKEA like ES pendants...

but then...

OR do they???
only at a pendant yes

NO, mate, it couldn`t.If we`re talking a PIR, how would YOU know which point ( bearing in mind the length of cable to/from the switch(es) is included) was the furthest, on any given circuit?

How would you know if a ring was bridged, unless you had taken readings from all points; or indeed, if ring had multiple spurs.

Tell me then, please.:

How do YOU test a PIR, and find the furthest point (r1r2) of a circuit????

n.b. If YOU missed a fitting with reverse polarity, :

1. How can you tick the box which says "All single pole switches are in the phase conductor"?????

2. What will your defence be if, as and when someone changes a bulb, with the switch off, and ends up dead on the floor????

I anticipate your reply!
if the polarity at the pendant is incorrect i mean
Polarity at the pendant (light fitting), as SL states, will primarily refer to an ES lampholder.

However, polarity, as a whole, (as I`m sure you`re aware), refers, among other things, to single pole devices being connected ONLY to the phase.

As I`ve highlighted above, we WERE talking about the polarity at the switch ( which you would determine at the ceiling rose), then, suddenly, we`re on polarity at the pendant?????

Suppose EVERY light you opened on your "10%" had only ONE T+E in it. What would you do???????

Polarity at the pendant (light fitting), as SL states, will primarily refer to an ES lampholder.However, polarity, as a whole, (as I`m sure you`re aware), refers, among other things, to single pole devices being connected ONLY to the phase.

As I`ve highlighted above, we WERE talking about the polarity at the switch ( which you would determine at the ceiling rose), then, suddenly, we`re on polarity at the pendant?????

Suppose EVERY light you opened on your "10%" had only ONE T+E in it. What would you do???????
look for a massive junction box lol

gotta get me a gn3 i guess

I think you`ve just lost us all, with that one!!!!!!erm.....................................

"only at a pendant yes, everywhere else no!"

"only at a pendant yes, hakuna matata"

What does it mean? ???? Am I stupid, or what?
i took it that SP implied reverse polarity must be switched neutral but i had it in my head that the switch was correctly switched in the live but it was connected to the pendant in the neutral terminal. and yes it only applies to pendants that have no protection (shutters etc)at the lamp holder over the live terminal

unlike a Es that is centre pin live

The end of a radial as you put it is the point with the highest r1r2. It has nothing to do with physical distances of anything but the cable. A radial can be branched at any point. I think the 16th refered to it as a multi outlet radial but to my eyes its just a radial. It matters not.

Latest posts