Radio

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there not already talk of replacing the DAB with DAB2/+ or somethinghttp://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab/dab_vs_dab+.htm

i dont think the switch off will happen....it will drag on and on :) knowing this country
Yes indeed, many suspect we might at one point switch to dab+, rendering virtually all current DAB radio's obsolete.

Which is one reason I would not personally spend much on a DAB radio.

The radio planners need to come clean on their intentions, rather than just bumbling along keeping us in the dark like mushrooms. Can you imagine the outrage if they switch off FM, and wait until we all have bought new DAB radio's, then they announce a change to DAB+

But hey the same thing is happening with tv. We have all gone (or are about to go) digital. But most of us bought DVB-T receivers. But now we have DVB-T2 for HD, with the distinct possibility that in the future, all broadcasts, even SD will migrate to DVB-T2, in effect a digital switchover #2

The audio quality of DAB is also widely criticised, due to the low bitrates used for many stations. If you want the best digital radio quality for home listening, then do as I do, and link your sky box audio out to your hi fi. You get a much wider choice if digital radio stations than you do with DAB, and almost without exception broadcast with higher bit rates.

yes audio quality is not that great on DAB, no better than a good FM signal. I use it as i only listen to Talksport and MW really is poor.

What about the car radios that are integrated into the vehicle alarms and immobilisers that may render the vehicles inoperative, or mean that the alarm/immobiliser has to be defeated thus giving insurance issues when the switch comes?...
never heard of that one.... if tis true, then its a really stupid idea. loads of people change the radios in the car. never had any problems like it being linked to the alarm etc though

I got a Honda civic and the radio is formed as part of the dash and can't be removed........!

can be done - changed one a few weeks back. get yourself on ebay and search 'honda civic radio facia'. you also need a lead to go to ISO

you have to remove most of the centre console to change it. also 2 really awkward bolts/screws near the bottom to remove/refit. also a pain to get the gearstick cover off

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:44 ----------

Twas in my old Ranger mate!It caused immobiliser problems.
dont think ive changed a radio on one of those. probably a good thing by the sounds of it!

Anything CAN be done as I tell my customers, however it depends on the "depth" of their pockets!

We got around the Ranger issues.

When my customers ask can you do then I always say yes.

It is when they ask "how much" the problems arise.

I can get parts and repair 100 yr old machines if I need to.

I can get electronic controls fixed which were "fitted to the Ark" if I have to.

I can get almost any parts reverse engineered or repaired to the customer requirements.

Thing is most customers don't want to pay for what they want!

how did you get round the ranger issue?

leave the existing unit in (hidden) somewhere with power & data wiring, and new wired as normal?

or remove / bypass immobilser?

The issue was not that big, it just screwed up the immobiliser fault codes it still worked, but threw a fault every time the vehicle was started!

Latest posts