Random Light Switch In Kitchen

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westwood1985

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently moved to a new build house (built in july 2012) and i noticed a random light switch right next to the cooker switch, i have took the cover off and it has 1mm 3 core and earth cable going into it, only the brown and black are connected to the switch, the grey is just rolled up. Any idea what this switch is for?

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

I have recently moved to a new build house (built in july 2012) and i noticed a random light switch right next to the cooker switch, i have took the cover off and it has 1mm 3 core and earth cable going into it, only the brown and black are connected to the switch, the grey is just rolled up. Any idea what this switch is for?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum, the best person to ask is the person you bought the property off. It could be anything, hob light, counter lights, outside light, extractor fan, etc. Is it just a switch or a fuse & a switch?

Doc H.

Hi, thanks for the reply, its just a switch, no fuse. it doesnt seem to do anything.

Are you a spark is it live could you find what circuit it is on ie lights.

Is there a feed in for under cupboard lights but none fitted or maybe a outside light !

Hi alpha spark,

Thanks for your reply.

no im not a spark yet, but i have just completed my level 2.

I have took the cover off and it has 3core going into it but i have no idea where from, brown wire going into L1, black wire going into L2 and grey going into nothing although there is an L3 available, i have tried the outside lights and just about every other electrical thing in the house, i have no idea what its for.

Do u have tools to see if its live.

Multimeter, voltage testers , volt stick or even a neon screwdriver do u work with a spark or u a college student.

Some one with the right tools and a bit of experience should be able to find what it is, if any thing.

Have the neighbours got the same switch could u ask those

im a college student at the moment, but i do have my own tools and equipment. Everyone on the street has one but so far no one knows what its for.

Zak,

there is no immersion heater in the property.

Sidewinder,

yes it is 1mm 3core and earth

Thank you both for your replies

it has 1mm 3 core and earth cable going into it, only the brown and black are connected to the switch, the grey is just rolled up. 
That type of cable suggests it might be a control switch for something other than lighting especially if all the houses have the same set up as that rules out a DIY addon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe a override for the outside lights. Try flick it on and off a few times do the outside lights stay on

Do you have a gas hob? If so is it for the ignition? Or are there any junction boxes above the wall units?

My lights have just gone off!

Westwood can you flick the switch back on please :slap

Sorry if that was a bit random!

Sharpend you are right, its a boost switch for heat recovery system. Thanks, it was doing my head in. thanks everyone for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.