Raspberry Pi

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right things are looking up, installed Raspbmc on a new 8GB SD, and then put it in the Pi, nothing much happened, wi-fi dongle did nowt.

Run a patch lead from Pi to my router, bingo - started installing the rest of the required set-up files, after a short time and severel reboots I have the screen up, still no wi-fi, so into network manager and enable the draytek, unplug patch lead and everything working now on wi-fi.

Next step does the remote work on the iPhone - YES.

Now I need to figure out how to get iPlayer and 4OD etc on on it, so far so good.

2012-12-15 14.58.08.jpg

OK, do you know the chipset of your dongle?

it may just need tweaked?

although some of them are beyond reproach TBH,  :(
Well its the one supplied with the pi from Element14

I'm off to Leicester this morning to pick my boy up from Uni, when back i will have a dig around and see what it's about.

Below is the spec that came with it.

The Wi-Pi module is a high performance WLAN USB module which enables the Raspberry Pi to connect to a Wi-Fi network. The Wi-Pi module supports 802.11n standards with data rate upto 150Mbps, as compared to older 54Mbps in 802.11g standards. It also has a higher wireless LAN bandwidth, making data transmission more efficient, whilst also supporting wireless roaming, and ensuring consistent wireless connection. The Wi-Pi uses the latest international wireless CCA air channel detection technology, enhancing wireless performance.

• Antenna: Built-in smart antenna
  • Transmission speed: 11b: 1/2/5.5/11Mbps, 11g: 6/9/12/18/24/36/48/54Mbps, 11n: up to 150Mbps
  • Frequency range: 2.4GHz to 2.4835GHz
  • Working channel: 1 to 13
  • Transmit power: 20dBm (max)Security features: WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK, WPA/WPA2, 64/128/152 bit WEP encryption
  • Operating Systems: Debian 6.0 Linux distribution
  • Operating temperature: 0°C to 40°C

Off to Leicester we shall go, back later.

Well Raspbmc loaded, all iPlayers loaded along with Youtube and Twitch TV, purchased mains network kit to fit behind TV, streams are now perfect no buffering at all.

XBMC through iPhone or iPad is fantastic, so keyboard and mouse not required after set-up, well happy with result.

I decided that although having XBMC on the iPhone is very good, that if anyone else wanted to use Raspbmc they needed the keyboard and ideally the mouse plugged in, however I found that Maplin sold this wireless keyboard with mini pad for £20 reduced from £40.

Having purchased it I was hoping it would work, and it works like a charm, so now anyone can use the media player, getting better all the time.

2012-12-23 13.01.04.jpg

OK, Ive found out that the SD card makes a massive difference,

I was using an old SD card that was spare from the video camera, a class4, and it worked fine, bit of lag but I put that down to it simply being a basic-ish system,

was in tesco on monday and noticed they had an 8G micro card with adaptor for 11£ , class10 [uHS1] , bejaysus does it fly now!

as an aside, what browser is everyone else using for streaming? Im still trying to get one that doesnt suffer from stuttering so much, Im getting loads of buffering on the Pi that I dont get on the PC,,,,,,,

(and its a direct hard wired connection to the router), the PC is via a switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd, I have a Class 10 also, wired to network through mains network adapter, 10Meg Down and 1Meg Up, streaming iPlayer, 5OD and ITV Player, YouTube no lag or buffering at all.

Router is a Draytek 2830 with a Netgear 8 Port Switch.

what OS /browser are you running Steve3948  ?

if its any interest to anyone, Ubuntu 9.04 [or older I would imagine] will run on it, as will Lubuntu, DSL, Puppy etc.

I think Im going to give Raspbian a go with XBMC

Thought id use this thread instead of starting another.

on another forum i frequent someone was going on about how amazing a jail broken apple TV is, watch any film watch any sports channel really good quality ect, but they are expensive to buy jailbroken.  Someone said a Pi could do all this?

Is that possible they were talking about apps, plugins and xbmc its all above me.

If this is possible im driving to maplins today!

Free to veiw in the EU is free to veiw here, we just can receive them with standard equipment.  Showing them commerically is a civil law matter, which i wont be doing so its all good as far as im aware!

How much will it roughly cost to get up and running? 

Depends what you need,

A Pi, min 1amp microUSB PSU , USB keyboard to set it up, an HDMI lead, and a smart phone to control it once you plug the keyboard out.

Im still unsure if sky sports , eurosports etc are FREE, I can get them on the Pi just the same I can on the normal PC.

I was talking about canal+ ect, which i thought is free to air but non recieveable here.

Also the only thing wrong with watching a premier league game broadcast from another country is a copyright breach for logos.  its bull.

A Pi                                               

, min 1amp microUSB PSU ,

USB keyboard to set it up,

an HDMI lead,

and a smart phone to control it once you plug the keyboard out.

Got a mouse and keyboard, hdmi and iphone.  

Is CPC as good place to get this stuff from?

Latest posts