Rats!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkie1

Reaction score
I do a lot of work on what estate agents call "rural properties" and often it comes down to rats having eaten the insulation off the cables. Does anyone know for certain why the rat doesn't cook himself? Is he to well insulated from earth by fur or what? They even do all three, L,N, and ce. Being older houses there is often no rcd to trip.

Last house I was at he had even been eating the plastic water pipes.

I don't want answers how to keep him out, he keeps me in work, just how does he do it?

Think this is one for Patch to answer. He'll know the answer
Thanks for the confidence but I have no idea.

As a broad sweeping rule animals don't wear shoes and are more susceptible to electricity than we are.

I know rats can be very selective and accurate where they chew. I also can't see a tooth conducting electricity. Maybe if just the tooth touches the live conductor there is no shock. I can get a tooth and check it insulates from an electric fence.......

We have seen plenty of fried rodents to know that they have no total resistance!

Thanks for the confidence but I have no idea. As a broad sweeping rule animals don't wear shoes and are more susceptible to electricity than we are.

I know rats can be very selective and accurate where they chew. I also can't see a tooth conducting electricity. Maybe if just the tooth touches the live conductor there is no shock. I can get a tooth and check it insulates from an electric fence.......

We have seen plenty of fried rodents to know that they have no total resistance!
that has just made me laugh out loud.!

ROTFWL ROTFWL ROTFWL :Applaud

I wasnt sure if you just did fillings and extractions as well.

Ive got a weird picture in my head now, :D

that has just made me laugh out loud.! ROTFWL ROTFWL ROTFWL :Applaud

I wasnt sure if you just did fillings and extractions as well.

Ive got a weird picture in my head now, :D
No fillings, but take teeth out of dogs regularly. I might have a cows tooth in my desk draw. I have a few sheep skulls in my shed, complete with teeth..........

:D

I do a lot of work on what estate agents call "rural properties" and often it comes down to rats having eaten the insulation off the cables.I don't want answers how to keep him out, he keeps me in work, just how does he do it?
Unfortunately if you identify any external influences likey to cause damage to the fixed wiring then you are duty bound to provide that protection.

I do know of a house that was fire damaged by the effects of chewed cable.

As for your question about the rats not frying? I have always wondered about that.

Point taken Green-Hornet, though there was an element of jest in the post. Most of the houses on my island are built of dry stone with rubble infill then just drylined on the inside. With animals and animal feed, rodents are endemic.

I hate rats.

Even the one made of hessian the plumber left tucked under the floorboards....I yelped like a girl :_|