Rcbo

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcborcd

Reaction score
Hi, This may sound a dull question to some but not to me :Blushing

Does anybody know why i cant find a RCBO for a spur unit ( just like a rcd spur unit) i only want to replace a cracked rcd spur unit and i think it would be better protected by a RCBO but i dont want to fit a mini consumer box as its placed in the kitchen in view and running to a shed.

Thanks.

I agree I have done some searches but come up with nothing, only rcd spur outlets.

I must say I dont understand why if the OP has already got a RCD fused spur {albeit damaged], then why does he require it to have overload/ Short circuit protection via a mcb in preference to the cartridge fuse he has at present ??...maybe he could clarify.

An additional point to make is the fact that most RCBOs I come across are single pole, this would not necessarily provide adequate means of isolation to the Shed installation,

Also just wondering if the OP was actually considering uprating the protective device from 13A. to say maybe 16A, hence the rcbo theory ,if so and its spurred off say, the kitchen ring {likely},then thats a no. no . anway ! ...more info would be helpful .

Well in trying to answer i guess fuses are rather old hat and nearly never used anymore except for this example for a spur or in a 3 pin plug - im guessing yes it would be easier to find a fault as fuse would blow, rcd would trip but myself would rather a nice modern RCBO or similar that would be very very reliable would never need to look for a fuse . To my knowledge yes single pole rcd is/was used most in the uk but slowly changing to doublepole.The one i have got now to put in as i cant find an RCBO spur unit is double pole.

I dont think i need to go into talking about where the spur is from or what cable or what it runs or anything like that . All i wanted to know really is if i could get one or maybe if somebody can explain why there not made for this purpose or did you ask to see if its downstream from another rcd :innocent .

Anyways im just thinking it would be a lot easier just to have no fuse and better protection in some kind of nice little box with say two little LEDs to say all is ok one LED for overload and one for RCD and a reset button oh and maybe a lockout for safety to work on the line if needed. :coat

Well in trying to answer i guess fuses are rather old hat and nearly never used anymore except for this example for a spur or in a 3 pin plug - im guessing yes it would be easier to find a fault as fuse would blow, rcd would trip but myself would rather a nice modern RCBO or similar that would be very very reliable would never need to look for a fuse . To my knowledge yes single pole rcd is/was used most in the uk but slowly changing to doublepole.The one i have got now to put in as i cant find an RCBO spur unit is double pole.I dont think i need to go into talking about where the spur is from or what cable or what it runs or anything like that . All i wanted to know really is if i could get one or maybe if somebody can explain why there not made for this purpose or did you ask to see if its downstream from another rcd :innocent .

Anyways im just thinking it would be a lot easier just to have no fuse and better protection in some kind of nice little box with say two little LEDs to say all is ok one LED for overload and one for RCD and a reset button oh and maybe a lockout for safety to work on the line if needed. :coat
Never work on the line, its highly dangerous you might get runover by a virgin:coat