RCD in new office

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couleddie

Reaction score
We have just leased some new premises for our design consultancy (which I used to work for before branching out and occasionally do the odd job for when i'm not busy) and i'm about to sort out extra sockets and network cabling.

Been down today to check out what's required and noticed that there's no RCD protection on any of the circuits. The rules on RCD protection for commercial premises seem a little ambiguous and 'being under the supervision of a skilled person' cannot really apply as I won't be based at these premises. We're installing a kitchen area in part of the building and I intend to put a new RCBO protected radial in for this to supply fridge and kettle. The rest of the sockets will be powering computer equipment. Currently the cables run behind the plasterboard and are at a depth of less than 50mm.

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.

Sounds like a good plan, however ommision of RCD protection is also possible if the installation is under control of an INSTRUCTED person.

All that is needed is to supply someone working there with INSTRUCTIONS relating to use of the Installation, control of bulding works etc that may effect the installation and restrictions as to nailing into walls etc.

As I understand it, RCDs aren't really necessary for commecial amd can cause problems with lots of IT gear. RCDing circuit for kitchen is however a good idea, or for a socket likely to supply portable equipment outdoors. You could also consider a larger RCD for incoming supply. I have fitted 300mA before for building being used as offices. If you look in the BRB under agricultural section there's some info there about providing fire protection by RCD, but it also gives some additional protection should someone bang a nail in a cable. The other option is RCBO individual circuits, possibly with type C to prevent problems with flourescent lighting etc etc.

no need. instruct as to dangers of wiring within walls / restrict any wall penetrations of any kind. employees to be informed too.

ensure rigorous pat testing

rcd kitchen area

The kitchen will require RCD protection, this area will most likely be the one area where a visitor could use the sockets without any instruction or training. The electrical safety council have a question and answer board where most of these questions were brought up to coincide with the 17th update.

If your risk assessment is that no trained or instructed person is present then I would consider RCD protection, computers only ever trip RCD's if the number in use is large enough, which is why most now limit the amount per circuit. Having said all that, providing that you have "recorded" training procedures in place any person designated by you could become the instructed person, responsible for the building. They must sign to say they have received training, and those who he/she instructs should sign to say they have received instruction.

Some good advice from the guys there.

I still wonder if other countries have blessed themselves with all these dilemas , never seemed to have a problem under the 16th, but of course, being Britain, we have to complicate everything.

Thanks for all the comments. Will be considering the options later today. It's not as if it's a large organisation - there's only 5 of us. I certainly agree with the comment that everything has to be complicated. It's like a two tier system - domestic and anything else! It's the same electricity at home or at work - the dangers are still the same. Just seems to me that as soon as you leave your house it's all about leaving your brain at home and expecting someone else to take responsibility for you. What happened to common sense - maybe the regs need to incorporate this in any amendments.

Baby rant over.

Latest posts