Rcd Sockets Tripping Off Bussbar

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose man

Reaction score
hi not been on here for a while like the new look

problem i have is rcd socket out lets triping on bussbar

set up is powercenter bussbar there are five rcd sockets with a fcu conected to a light fitting

all on own seperate drops of bussbar all been ok but this week problem i have when they start  a 110v grinder  all lights flicker or go off and then come back on and all sockets tripp even if the grinder is only pluged into one socket i have tried a different grinder and power pack and still have same result  could this be a neutral to line faut or a loose neutral some were  along  the supply causeing imbalance  rcd kts are clint with no rockers all so ther is nothing else pluged in when faut occurs  just seems strange that it knocks all sockets out and lights flicker

thanks

moose man

Explain what you have a bit better, it's not making sense to me.

Powercentre stiuff is large switchgear. I can't imagine you have an RCD socket straight from "own seperate drops of bussbar" but that seems to be what you are saying.

Have you PAT tested the grinder and it's "power pack" (transformer?)

Sounds like it's a 3 phase install. Have you done ANY testing of the circuits yet, particularly Rn in view of your concerns over a possible floating neutral.

transformer pat tested  ok i drop some photos on later buss bar is 3 phase  100A WITH FUSED tapp off with a md20 bs88 for each circuit not ye done a rn as off  but tested  sockett out lets they seem ok on test results

moose

i sent you a email with photos cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the start up of the grinder causing large volt drop (hence florries going out) RCDS can trip due to this as well

dont thing so as when sockets are not being used no problem with lights spured off but i was thinking of swaping them for the time guard type with rocker

moose man

thing that puzzels me that if one skt goes out they all do and lights flicker on and off

what do you mean "active " or, "passive i heard of latched and non latched

Sounds like the start up of the grinder causing large volt drop (hence florries going out) RCDS can trip due to this as well

I was just going to say the same. 110V trannies can really surge. Many trip out 16 & 20A B type breakers. As your running off BS88 fuses these are holding but the flickering lights is due to the surge. Also, as someone elso mentioned that type of RCD socket is 'active' so ANY on the supply that has the surge dropping the voltage will trip off and have to be reset.

Active means will trip off with loss of voltage. Passive will stay in the on position.

got it now  timeguard sockets seem to be a better type as i have installed them in other parts off the factory with no problems  i have got new skts comeing tom i make sure  they are passive type and try to  solve the problem if not its upset production and shut bussbar down for some dead test on the bussbar for a floating neutral but i think it might be the type off skt in situ

Makes sense when you realise "seperate drops of busbar" actually means SWA drops.
sorry about terminology mix up

Last edited by a moderator:
Passive can be dangerous, especially in a factory as  things  (such as an angle grinder) could be left switched  on and be very dangerous when the power comes back on. Active are normally specified in these conditions
i take that on board if they are a notice will be place above each outlet  warning but i thing it may be quality off skt as i never been keen on idea of isolation without a rocker switch as clint type skt use rcd part to turn off power that must put wear on that part over time

Latest posts