Re-wire or not

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazooboo

Reaction score
I have a client that belives they need a rewire because they have been told that the installation is more than 25 years old and there is no earth on the light switches (as they did in the old days). The insalation and continuity tests are all fine, and the light switches are class 2 so I can't see an issue. Do installations need to be changed for these reasons. The major change I would make is to update the Consumer Unit to 17th edition. Am I missing something here?

Cheers Folks.

I would say that the installation was in need of a PIR,, do that first to get a proper idea of its state

if the only problem is an old 3036 CU and the lighting circuit then I'd recommend a new CU and lighting rewire

if you have a look at the ESC guidance note about lighting circuits and CPC's you'll see that only adding RCD protection is the worst case scenario

25yrs old and no earth at lights then you may also have a problem with IR if you change CU,

BTW, prob more like 50 yrs old, 1960's/70's minimum, after that 15th required fairly decent earthing for most stuff, and 16th, well that even needed your window frames drilled.! FFS,!

good times, eh?!

You might want to suggest renewing switches, pendants and sockets too as the installation is over 45 years old. This'll give you a chance to check every connection point and the condition of insulation behind all accessories making repairs with heatshrink as you go.

Shouldn't cost more than

I would ask the client what thier further intensions are with the property.

If they are planning on doing up the entire property then a re-wire at this stage would be advisable to have all new cables in the walls to save further mess.

If they have no plans for decorating I would change CU, follow best practice guide for the lighting then recommend re-wiring when each room is decorrated. I have 2 customers who's houses I am re-wiring over the next few years as they decorrate.

If the install is that old, its likely the earthing & bonding isn`t up to standard.............which would need to be done for a CU anyway.

The lighting may be ok if its all class 2 - but if they`re willing to have a lighting rewire, why disabuse them?

At that age, a global IR test, and check of the conductors could be helpful (VIR anyone??) - don`t just look in the fusebox - I`ve seen too many boards with PVC for 1 metre, then connect to the VIR out of sight, and call it a rewire!

If the customer is actually WANTING a rewire - give `em one.

KME

I have a client that belives they need a rewire because they have been told that the installation is more than 25 years old and there is no earth on the light switches (as they did in the old days). The insalation and continuity tests are all fine, and the light switches are class 2 so I can't see an issue. Do installations need to be changed for these reasons. The major change I would make is to update the Consumer Unit to 17th edition. Am I missing something here?Cheers Folks.
I would say INSULATION resistance tests need to be done..

what is Insalation?????????????

Zs per circuit?

Ze ?

Bonding?

What sort of cables?

PVC

TRS

LEAD

Just talking about age TBH means nothing at all!!!

because something is old doesn't mean its unsafe..

This question is about as useful as saying..

I am looking at 3 cars...

which needs more work on it?

and which is the best value..?

a/ Is 2 years old

b/ Is 10 years old

c/ Is 45 years old

Impossible to say just considering age!!!

Age on its own means JACK-ALL!!!

lets now reconsider our cars with a bit more info...

a/ Is 2 years old FORD GALAXY.. Never been serviced , used as a Taxi, got 65,000+ on the clock, only been cleaned 4 times!

b/ Is 10 years old VW GOLF GTI.. All correct service intervals done, but not by VW dealer, been involved in two minor accidents signs of paint peeling after poor quality re-spray.. 84,000 on clock

c/ Is 45 years old Rolls Royce.. One previous owner, All full main dealer services carried out.. only got 55,000 on clock, colour White, only used as wedding car taking Bride to Church & reception, open top only used in the summer, garaged when not in use!

In a nut shell..

Need to know what your electrical circuits have been doing..

what make they are..

etc..

not just how old they are

:Salute :coffee