Real Electric Work

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extension15

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As some of you may know, I do work part time at present for a previous employer, as needs must.. :D

That particular employer is in the Rail industry..

They are having some BIG electrical work done (

LOVE it.

done a bit of work in MANX telecom new exchange about 4years ago,

280mm(240?) earth bonds to an earth bar in every corridor (NO clean earths!)

everything, and I mean EVERYTHING was bonded together.

hydraulic crimps for the terminations, and sledgehammers to get the phases into just the right position before bolting them down with 1" drive sockets!

no 6mm bolts there!

gawd, its times like this when I realise just how much I HATE house bashing! :_| :_| :_|

The firm i work for has just started fitting out a factory production/warehouse unit. My first time using 240mm and 120mm SWA, MCCB`s and panelboards absolutely loved it (v sad i know) but knackered at the end of every day. :z

I might add, I don't think I could get too excited about doing electrical work, involving cables of that size, but then I wouldn't be working on my own anymore..

;)

As some of you know, we`ve got a remedial on a local hotel ( part of a national chain.......)

I requested, and was sent (today) the PIR.

112 pages.

PME, EC 95mm (supply conductor NV)

BS88 - 800A main fuses

Am I looking forward to this????? Too right I am!

House bashing is ok as "bread & butter", but it gets a tad stale.

Jobs like this; although someone else is suggesting the works, is still a big brain-buzz!!!! :) :) :)

Bring `em on. Happy days:) :) :)

Note - self, missus(who`s been assistant sparx for 10+years) and "young `un" (not a product of my loins, I hasten to add).

There`s the three of us (and it looks like the missus has a naffered "rotator cuff" in her shoulder) - so she`ll be no.1 in the PR dept - leaving me & boyo to get on with things, unhindered:) :)

Plus, another firm floating 100 offices *PIR + PAT* - travel 250 miles.

"No problem, sir".

In the current climate, as long as they`ll pay, NOTHING is a problem:) :)

Proper industrial work is miles away from domestic/commercial.

Did some work a while ago where a shop (yes a big shop!) had three 11KV incomers into three HV rooms, which fed into about 12 LV rooms. I'll get some piccies if I can.

50K pound isn't much - depends on extent of works though.

Seen a quote recently, to install 190m of 25mm 3 core XPLE to a socket (long run), its an arduous route, inside a building - quote to supply and install.....

In the telecom industry a lot of kit is powered by 54v dc supplies so you can guess from this the current can go through the roof. I regularly install 400mm sq single core cables with crimped ends ,heatshrink, and torqued down connections. You also have to be careful to install the cables in pairs(+-) to avoid any magnetic effects. 1600amp fuse links are not unusual.

We also do work for another factory with its own substation. ACB`s, panelboards and MCCB`s in use everywhere. The power-factor-correction equipment was noticed to be not working the other week, 10K to repair

I have done some large industrial work 400mm SWA you only get one chance of terminating it, as if cut wrong its impossible to gain any spare cable. Good to do various electrical work and to see other aspects of the industry. Defiantly makes wiring 1.00mm cable a doddle CJS