really odd

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanald

Reaction score
hello every one wondered if anyone has had this happen and can explain

Just built new extension and as part of the work have been checking main house wiring today i went into 1 bedroom voltstick megger vf1 in hand approach light switch with voltstick and it lights up about 8inches away from switch curios i hold volstick higher than switch volt stick still lit turn switch off volt stick goes out touch wall and turn light on (still here no big bang from me) volt stick in other hand lights up any ideas checks i can make

ps havent tested any circuits yet maybe the answer lies there?

Sorry I am a little confused.

Are you saying your non-contact volt detector is lighting up when the light is switched off?

Is is likely because with T&E the brown is live to the switch and the blue (sw live) is live when the switch opened so there is voltage in both. Hence stronger reaction when switch open cf closed.

or am I missing what you are saying?

Sounds about right tbh, they basically work on static electricity, so will light up 'somewhere near something live' and 'further away from something live with more power going through it'.

no its not touching any where near the switch it even glows on the other side of the wall on the landing or if you hold the volt stick at arms length away from the wall and touch the wall with your other hand it lights the volt stick ?????????????

no its not touching any where near the switch it even glows on the other side of the wall on the landing or if you hold the volt stick at arms length away from the wall and touch the wall with your other hand it lights the volt stick ?????????????
Sounds about right tbh, they basically work on static electricity, so will light up 'somewhere near something live' and 'further away from something live with more power going through it'.
Or to put it another way, they can light up just about anywhere for any reason.

just seems a little strange works normal every where but that 1 corner in the house

just seems a little strange works normal every where but that 1 corner in the house
Could that be the corenr where the overhead line drops in, or where all the cables rise in the corner to the upstairs lights\showers\other stuff, or above the CU, or anything similar.

they are good bit of kit to reasure you ... but i still don't trust them... i always use my multi tester before i grob hold of anything i think is live...

i had a belt once when one of these pens didn't work! and i thought it was dead.... crack... oh no its just my pen didn't light up! my bloody ears did though

Could that be the corenr where the overhead line drops in, or where all the cables rise in the corner to the upstairs lights\showers\other stuff, or above the CU, or anything similar.
only wire in the wall is the drop to the switch cu other side of house line comes in under ground so rules that out thanks for the replys lads

And your telling me you do all the time...bull s""@!
If I need to confirm it is off for any reason, chances are the reason is because if I get it wrong then I will either kill\injure myself or others or burn something down, so yes, I do do it pretty much as to the guides above.

What I don't do is flick a breaker off, wave a volt stick over the end of a cable and then assume that the volt stick works and merrily prod things with fingers. It leads to hefty insurance premiums and burnt things.

I always verfiy the voltstick is working, using the tails, before I do anything else. Before I use it each time, I press the on/off button (even if it's flashing) that way if it's off - then I've switched it on, or if it's on then it beeps to tell me I just turned it off and I then turn it on again. Am I anal or is it OCD?? :^O

i have a kewtech it is very temperamental.

if it lights up its prob live, if it does not it might be dead

i have a kewtech it is very temperamental. if it lights up its prob live, if it does not it might be dead
That's what any volt stick does pretty much. I would doubt very much if you got away with using it during an inspection, and definitely not if you just assumed that off = dead without even checking it works first.