Recommed a good reliable laptop

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening all. I have an Acer aspire1672LMi Laptop that's coming up to 5 years old. I had a problem with the power previously and it cost me

Do you want it for general comp work or for engineering type stuff?

For general Dell is good enough

For Technical stuff IBM thinkpads are awesome bits of kit (what I use mate) :)

i have a dell latitude laptop and havent any problems to date, i have had mine for over 3 years now.

Do you want it for general comp work or for engineering type stuff?For general Dell is good enough

For Technical stuff IBM thinkpads are awesome bits of kit (what I use mate) :)
General computing. How do you 'engineer' with a laptop?

General computing. How do you 'engineer' with a laptop?
Use one of the 'toughbook' ones. Drives nails into wood really quickly! :^O

Lol, you guys.

I mean that stinkpads are way better at running all types of engineering progs than a normal domestic type thang, Mr Sworld you deserve a bag of scoobs for that mate. :)

IMO it really depends on waht you want to use it for. Ie light work or heavy duty work - I do think that HP and Dell do the best laptops though. I have a HP and its never once let me down.

One thing i will say - go for a brand name - acer and such are like your supermarket own lables, and while some of them might be good, the quality is never the same as a brand name :)

Make sure you have a good CPU, and over 2gb memory for vista with a large HDD and u should be fine :)

I am currently using a 1525 (middle 1) and its a nice machine. Only issue I have with it that the lid doesn't have any mechanism to hold it shut like most do. In fact, this is the first laptop i've seen like this. The lid just folds down. Its no biggy, just not the norm if you know what I mean.

Only issue I have with it that the lid doesn't have any mechanism to hold it shut like most do. In fact, this is the first laptop i've seen like this. The lid just folds down.
Yeah i bought a Dell about a month ago very nice laptop worth a purchase Apache.

Also got the 1525 and there is no locking device to close lid which aint no big deal.Guiness Drink

hi,

Most of my whole life is IT, (boring.........I know).

My recommendation which I still fiund hard to admit.

An employee (software designer) wanted a new laptop for working whilst travelling between customers.

Searched all the usual places for the most cost effective and ended buying from..

TESCOS!!!!!!!

All their range would probably meet your requirements but let me know what you do most on computer and I'll let you know what the minimum requirement I would be looking at.

Basically all I do on my computer:

Micosoft office, internet (I do stream and download music and videos). I have a digital camera but don't use it much. Never play games.

My spec ATM:

Acer asipre 1672LMi

pentium 4 3GHz

15" screen

60GB HDD

512MB DDR

Thanks for help so far. My power supply is behaving a bit better ATM, but I will have to change it at some point. Having an idea of budget would help.

HP Pavillion 7064

Look at this spec and this is what I would recommend.

Good all round "domestic" computer where you're not paying for frills and bells that you won't use, nor need.

Again I'd recomend Tesco's especially if you go into one of the bigger stores and they often sell the previous models off.

have fun

With regard to your power supply charging problem,

A lot of laptop experience this problem over time and its due usually to the power connector breaking the tracks of the pcb it is soldered into.

Not just the power pads but the sensor pads of the switch that detects the pluging in of the plug.

Two ways of overcoming this.

1. position the power cord in such a way as to ensure the broken pads remain connected. This is usually achieved by placing a small weight on top of the power cord, as the usual break comes from the power cord been pushed up by resting it on an object.

2. Go search and buy a manual to take it apart. (This is a very complex mechanical job involving usually 20 -30 screws. (I'm not inviting comments on this! Ha ha). When you eventually get to the power connector Circuit mount, Resolder both the power joints and the two smaller pads you'll probably discover next or under the power connector.

The first method will prolong the life, the second will prolong the life further.

Y not stick to a 15" apache it'll be a bit cheaper, Do u need to go to that size will u be watchin alot of movies on it?

Y not stick to a 15" apache it'll be a bit cheaper, Do u need to go to that size will u be watchin alot of movies on it?
I use it a bit for work and the 17" has the full number pad, hence my choice. I make lots of graphs etc and the numbers at the top drive me mad. Could get a plug in USB keypad..........