Rental properties and rcd

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokeralhson

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a more general question about property, so I hope it doesn't sound too silly. Long story short, I've got a house that I've inherited from my dad. He passed away when I was 15 (I'm 22 now), and that house was all he had then. I have financial issues now, so I have to rent out this house. I'd like to know how to make it correctly (I mean all the docs). I've never done it, so I'm afraid to be deceived. TIA for your help.

Split from hi-jacked post

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys. I have a more general question about property, so I hope it doesn't sound too silly. Long story short, I've got a house that I've inherited from my dad. He passed away when I was 15 (I'm 22 now), and that house was all he had then. I have financial issues now, so I have to rent out this house. I'd like to know how to make it correctly (I mean all the docs). I've never done it, so I'm afraid to be deceived. TIA for your help.

find a local spark by asking friends and neighbours and get a proper EICR done. How old is the property?

once you have had this done feel free to ask more questions

don’t go for the cheapest either.

then you need to get an EPC done and a gas safe check assuming there are gas appliances.

also inform HMRC, keep records of all costs and rental payments etc

hope this helps

It’s not as simple as just providing a safe home,,,, there are loads of other hoops that you have to jump through (which vary dependant on which part of the UK you live in)… in Wales landlords and properties have to be registered under the “rent smart Wales” scheme, which costs a few hundred pounds to do,,,, many people use agents because of this….. IIRC there’s a similar scheme in England (I dont know about Scotland and Northern Ireland im afraid)