Repairing Cordless batteries

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

when the life goes in your cordless drill batteries have you ever tried to repair them.

Is it normally just one cell inside the battery case which is duff and is it possible to solder a new one in?

Is it worth it?

Opinions and advice please

cheers

I've got 2 makita MXT's that are kackered I wasn't sure wether to sell them as spares or get them repaired. To be fair the little fellers have more than earnt there money so maybe it's time to lay them to rest.

You used to be able to get decent cells for decent prices and repair your own. If you were to do so you would replace all of them as just replacing one would be a waste of time. Nowadays though it's not worth the hassle, I looked for some cells a few months ago and couldn;t find anything at a decent price so it was as cheap to send it off and let someone else do it, although as it happens ITS had a sale on and were selling loads of Makita batteries cheap so I bought half a dozen for various drills in the collection. Think there were some in the last sale leaflet along with DeWalt ones as well.

In my experience I think it is a waste of money repairing,

I bought 2x NiMh 12v 3Ah batts from ebay two years ago for my DeWalt's. (they had come with the standard NiCad 1.3Ah)

The new batts cost

Chinese copy batteries are **** IME, would never ever use one again or recommend buying one. Complete waste of money.

Only giving you a count of my experience with this guy on ebay - I would definately buy from him again - don't know where he gets them from, but at that price and the use they have had I am well pleased.

Don't forget most of the MIE is sourced in China/Taiwan etc

Regards........SteveT

upgraded to all l-ion stuff cost me over 1k tho but dam do they last well compared

I used a company called Re-Batt of something like that you send them your old cases (after removing the cells) and they send out ones.

Bought 3 x 18v 3Ah two years ago and still going strong