Replace two gang with one gang

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFJH12

Reaction score
I have a current two gang light switch that controls the main central ceiling light, and I believe some 5A lamp sockets (which we have never used). I want to replace this with a single dimmer switch to control the main ceiling light. How should I wire this, given there are too many wires for the new single switch? Would really appreciate some advice, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpeg
    IMG_0294.jpeg
    684.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0293.jpeg
    IMG_0293.jpeg
    905.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0295.jpeg
    IMG_0295.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0296.jpeg
    IMG_0296.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0297.jpeg
    IMG_0297.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Your top two wires with the link between them are live in and out, these both go to the L terminal you don't need the old link wire. The bottom wire from the switch that controlled the ceiling light into the terminal with the wiggly symbol. Put the wire for the lighting sockets into a separate connector to keep safe.

Your top two wires with the link between them are live in and out, these both go to the L terminal you don't need the old link wire. The bottom wire from the switch that controlled the ceiling light into the terminal with the wiggly symbol. Put the wire for the lighting sockets into a separate connector to keep safe.
Thanks a lot! While I was waiting for a reply here yesterday, I asked the same question elsewhere (on a general 'home improvement' site) and someone suggested putting the top two live wires into the 'wiggly' terminal, then the wire from the old L1 switch into the new L terminal (essentially the inverse of what you suggested). I did this (before I saw your reply) and it worked, but would there be any benefit to changing it to your suggestion? Cheers, really appreciate your input.

Thanks a lot! While I was waiting for a reply here yesterday, I asked the same question elsewhere (on a general 'home improvement' site) and someone suggested putting the top two live wires into the 'wiggly' terminal, then the wire from the old L1 switch into the new L terminal (essentially the inverse of what you suggested). I did this (before I saw your reply) and it worked, but would there be any benefit to changing it to your suggestion? Cheers, really appreciate your input.
No it will still work but for future clarity it should be done as I say, lives should be in L.