Replacing PIR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porky chirrup

Reaction score
Live in a complex with lights activated by PIR's top and bottom of ramp.

kids have kicked the top one off the wall and it no longer works, bought a flush mounted replacement but when I came to install existing has three terminals and new only two, wires are two black and three red one of which is in the third terminal on old PIR.

Any ideas how I need to wire up, the terminals on new are mareked live and load

cheers

Tell us the makes and models so we can look it up. I am guessing the type you have bought is to replace a light switch & needs no neutral. If so the black get connected together in  a connector in the back box . The reds then are the feed & switch line.  This may be a job for an electrician, I have not seen one of these switch replacement Pir's thats suitable for external use.

2 wire per switches have load and supply connections only as described usually come with a capacitor  which is used depending on loading of lighting circuit being switched

also have a rechargeable battery and are designed to be fitted internally replacing a standard 1 gang switch

Latest posts