Replacing switch plates without a colour guide .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty'sDwarf

Reaction score
Hello . Most switch plates are simple for me to replace , difference is ; on the landing the pattress box has brown ,grey black and blue wires .
It's plastic hence no earth but I forgot to take a photo before I removed all but one which is common = brown . ?

A clue is that the L2 screw was not tampered with .
Please tell me where the grey ,black and blue one goes

Attachments

• IMG_20230615_140749.jpg
    IMG_20230615_140749.jpg
    896.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230615_140800.jpg
    IMG_20230615_140800.jpg
    948.3 KB · Views: 0
Something not right here
If you've only disconnected the now "loose" wires, L2 is stillscrewed tight, common only has ONE wire in it ( brown) then there MUST surely have been a connector in there?
What does this one way switch operate?
Hi .
This is the light switch for my landing light . It had no butt connector ..the reason why the brown is hanging on is I realized I'd removed the other wires before photographing it.
There another brown .
And then BLK blue and grey all sleeved by brown

Back to basics
Is there
One cable , brown, black, grey
One cable brown, blue

Hard to tell from photos as it looks like it was taken with a crisp,packet 😂
Hi .
Lmfao . affirmative
There is one cable with brown and blue There is one cable black grey brown
Indeed , okay I can understand it ..
To make my question more transparent here's what I know
The landing light and hall light seem to be looped .
if I'm at the door I can activate the landing light . The outside and the hall light .
To summarize the upstairs is a 1gang 2 way and the hall light is a three way switch that's looped .

Last edited:
I assume this is a two way switch, in other words two or more switches control the same light. A clearer pic would help.

I feel this forum needs a sticky post titled "IF YOU ARE GOING TO CHANGE A LIGHT SWITCH, READ THIS POST FIRST"

And the post would instruct you to photograph the wiring and label all the wires BEFORE you even think about removing any of the wires.

I assume this is a two way switch, in other words two or more switches control the same light. A clearer pic would help.
The first two photos are the pattress box for the upstairs light which also activates the hall light .
The second two pictures are of the hall light being transferred to the new component ,( three remaining wires grey BLK and brown )which I'm trying to figure out where they go
The problems are with these different brands of upgraded , switch connections are differently placed or named .

Attachments

• IMG_20230615_181616_354.JPG
    IMG_20230615_181616_354.JPG
    487.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230615_181447.jpg
    IMG_20230615_181447.jpg
    903.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230615_151010.jpg
    IMG_20230615_151010.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230615_181305.jpg
    IMG_20230615_181305.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
The first two photos are the pattress box for the upstairs light which also activates the hall light .
The second two pictures are of the hall light being transferred to the new component ,( three remaining wires grey BLK and brown )which I'm trying to figure out where they go
The problems are with these different brands of upgraded , switch connections are differently placed or named .
looks like you need a photographer and electrician

I feel this forum needs a sticky post titled "IF YOU ARE GOING TO CHANGE A LIGHT SWITCH, READ THIS POST FIRST"

And the post would instruct you to photograph the wiring and label all the wires BEFORE you even think about removing any of the wires.
Too Right , ProDave . I'd air on the side of caution in hindsight . What I didn't anticipate was completely new connections on the upgrade . Less haste more speed is what my elders used to say before getting the wrong end if the stick .
And phone cameras do well enough .
Going from top to bottom on the first two photos black , blue then grey . The other is brown

You click on the photo and find detail by using thumb and index finger to zoom in or out .
Also the L2 screw port does seem as if it was used .as overnight it's dropped and loosened.
QUESTION: does the downstairs inserts need to match the upstairs? I have blue and grey together in L2 and BLK and brown in L1 ? Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_20230616_115509.jpg
    IMG_20230616_115509.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230616_120003.jpg
    IMG_20230616_120003.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
QUESTION: does the downstairs inserts need to match the upstairs? I have blue and grey together in L2 and BLK and brown in L1 ? Thanks again
, I take it by inserts you mean cables, some times yes and sometimes no
Also the L2 screw port does seem as if it was used .as overnight it's dropped and loosened.
hope this makes sense to someone if so please explain to me

Latest posts