Replacing a ceiling rose and bulb with LED strips and switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpurce

Reaction score
I had a ceiling rose with a bulb under my stair case that kept getting hit with coats etc and this was connected to 2 LED strip lights from TLC the 2 strip lights were connecting via a linkable cable with the last LED light connecting to the ceiling rose - see attached picture. Because of my predicament mentioned above I decided to buy a third LED strip light to replace ceiling rose and bulb and connect all three LED lights to a switch rather than a pull cord, like before.
The switch has a COM and L1 connectors and the wire from board twin and earth. I have connected these up previously and have never had as much trouble when connecting these up.
Can you tell me how I should connect the twin and earth cable coming from board - Red and black and the colour cables from the last LED strip lights which are blue and brown.
No matter which way I connect these up, it trips when I switch on from fuse board.
Thanks

Attachments

• 5310F33B-73F0-45A4-AA6B-5E44422FA0EF.jpeg
    5310F33B-73F0-45A4-AA6B-5E44422FA0EF.jpeg
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 3
Is that how the rose was connected or is that what you have done.

The rose was connected up ages ago by an electrician I just added two linkable led lights represented by the white cable in photo

What is that single brown looking wire far left on the neutral block?

Can you show a rough drawing on what you have done including the switch.

I had a ceiling rose with a bulb under my stair case that kept getting hit with coats etc and this was connected to 2 LED strip lights from TLC the 2 strip lights were connecting via a linkable cable with the last LED light connecting to the ceiling rose - see attached picture. Because of my predicament mentioned above I decided to buy a third LED strip light to replace ceiling rose and bulb and connect all three LED lights to a switch rather than a pull cord, like before.
The switch has a COM and L1 connectors and the wire from board twin and earth. I have connected these up previously and have never had as much trouble when connecting these up.
Can you tell me how I should connect the twin and earth cable coming from board - Red and black and the colour cables from the last LED strip lights which are blue and brown.
No matter which way I connect these up, it trips when I switch on from fuse board.
Thanks
What is that single brown looking wire far left on the neutral block?
Hi,
that far right brown cable went to the connection where the bulb would sit in, on the other end, not showing would have been the blue or black cable

Can you show a rough drawing on what you have done including the switch.
Here is a drawing of the setup and I have tried various ways, but essentially from my knowledge COM connector on switch is live. So I have connected red cable from CU and brown from LED light to COM. Black cable from CU and blue cable from LED to L1. I have tried that in reverse.

Attachments

• 84E88F01-FB22-4190-BE71-8F751F091193.jpeg
    84E88F01-FB22-4190-BE71-8F751F091193.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
How is the switch connected where are the black and blue.

How is the switch connected where are the black and blue.
I don't quite understand what you mean. The cables shown in the drawing would connect together to the switch. Cable on the right is coming from CU

If I correctly understand what you have written then you have connected the switch straight across the supply, so it will trip, (and likely damage the switch contacts) if switched on.
The red from the consumer unit should go to switch common. The brown to the light to switch L1. The neutrals, black/blue are connected together.
I strongly recommend that you don't take anything else electrical apart, as most are more complex than this.

Thanks Geoff, I will give this a try and report back.
I have done many replacements, like for like, and have never faced this issue. I appreciate your feedback

Thanks Geoff, I will give this a try and report back.
I have done many replacements, like for like, and have never faced this issue. I appreciate your feedback
Thanks Geoff, works a treat. After careful analysis the approach makes sense but just could not see the wood through the trees ;)

Thanks Geoff, works a treat. After careful analysis the approach makes sense but just could not see the wood through the trees ;)

Just to add:

You may find that the switch fails prematurely as your earlier attempts have put a direct dead short, high circuit current across the contacts.

It's not uncommon for switch connects to either weld together, so you cannot turn it off.
Or burn out, so you cannot turn it on! after been connected directly across a supply.

See how it goes..
but if the switch gets a bit temperamental, or the lights start flickering.. Fit a new switch.

Basic rule to remember.. There are NO neutral connections required a most standard, (non-smart), light switches..
Just Live IN, (from the supply) and Live OUT, (to the light)..
If there are any neutral wires at the switch enclosure, they would be connected together independently, (Not at the switch contacts).

Just to add:

You may find that the switch fails prematurely as your earlier attempts have put a direct dead short, high circuit current across the contacts.

It's not uncommon for switch connects to either weld together, so you cannot turn it off.
Or burn out, so you cannot turn it on! after been connected directly across a supply.

See how it goes..
but if the switch gets a bit temperamental, or the lights start flickering.. Fit a new switch.

Basic rule to remember.. There are NO neutral connections required a most standard, (non-smart), light switches..
Just Live IN, (from the supply) and Live OUT, (to the light)..
If there are any neutral wires at the switch enclosure, they would be connected together independently, (Not at the switch contacts).
Thanks a lot. Been interested in electrics for a long time as I work in IT. Think I might do my part P and do odd jobs on the side

Thanks a lot. Been interested in electrics for a long time as I work in IT. Think I might do my part P and do odd jobs on the side

Part-P is a building regulation.. not an electrical qualification.

You can obtain a copy of Part P as a free download....
Approved Document P.

But that in itself does not make anyone competent to undertake any electrical work for monetary gain.??

Latest posts